Menu

Resources for teaching the "why" and "concept" behind elementary math?

I teach one math class. We "do" math according to level (tested) rather than grades. We are currently learning from a 5th grade book, and we just reviewed decimals. We are multiplying double digits now.

Most of my students "get" the mechanics, the "how to." Most do not understand the why of the mechanics, and especially the "place holder".

I grew up never being taught the why. I think teaching them the concept behind the mechanics would help.

Suggestions?

Miquon

Manupulative work, in general, would probably be enough for most 5th graders to see why you need a "place holder."

My ds learned x by breaking everything out into expanded form, then multiplying...then adding it all back together. The algorithm is simply a shortcut for all of that, and the concept of the place-holder makes sense when you see the whole process involved.

Khan Academy has a good clip on multidigit multiplication.

I am an elementary math tutor and I use Making Math Real. I was trained in it through a local tutoring company and find it works very well for going through the mechanics and the reasoning/why of each concept. It starts each concept at the concrete level, then works gradually up to abstract.

Manupulative work, in general, would probably be enough for most 5th graders to see why you need a "place holder."

My ds learned x by breaking everything out into expanded form, then multiplying...then adding it all back together. The algorithm is simply a shortcut for all of that, and the concept of the place-holder makes sense when you see the whole process involved.

Khan Academy has a good clip on multidigit multiplication.

:iagree: We wrote the factors out in expanded form, multiplied, then added back together. Saxon and Singapore both do this. These are the only two programs I have experience with.