Menu

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

Kay in Cal

For every chapter section there is something called a Discover Activity. This is something to do before reading the text. It is usually fairly quick. Within the section there might be smaller activities too. Some of them are more valuable than others. In each chapter there is something called a Skills Lab which is longer and more involved than the activities. And there are projects for each chapter.

In Earth's Changing Surface I counted:

4 chapter projects

19 Discover Activities

7 Try this Activities

9 Skills Activities

8 Skills Labs

7 At Home Activities

4 Tech and Design activities

6 math activities

Obviously you'll want to choose the best ones for your situation. We certainly didn't do even close to all the activities.

As for getting a teacher's edition, it's easy! Call them (you can't do this online) and tell them you're a homeschooler and want to purchase a teacher's edition. They will have you sign something stating you're a homeschooler and you're good to go. You only have to do this once. Then it is on file and you can get any Pearson teacher's edition. Have the ISBNs and titles of the books you want to order ready when you call. I would also recommend getting the CD-ROMs in addition to the books because it has all the workbook pages as well as pages for the labs and some extra activities that are really quite well thought out.

Hope this helps!

Kay, you can get the TM's via Amazon, or straight from PH.

I like having the TM. It has the answers to all questions in the student text. It also has guided questions for each section, which I do utilize. There are extra Discover Activities which are not in the student text.

I purchased a used (but the most recent version) set of the All-In-One Teaching Resources at my local homeschool store for very cheap ($30 for the entire Physical Science set, $15 for the Life Science set because it was missing the one for Human Body).

You can also purchase the Teacher Express CD through Amazon Marketplace (they are $199 from PH), this contains the entire interactive text, teacher's edition, labs, student workbooks, answer keys, lesson plans, and more for all 16 of the books. I paid $89 for it, but I'm a little nervous because one seller listed it as only 2 discs, and that is a LOT of info to fit on 2 discs. It hasn't arrived yet, but there were 2 others listed for the same price.

If this actually contains what I think it does, then I will be selling the books.

The 2000 and 2002 editions are virtually identical. I'm using the 2002 workbooks with the 2000 edition and even the page numbers have matched up exactly in all the books so far.

I know they did some shuffling with the 2005 edition because I bought a couple of the 2005 edition workbooks at first and some of the chapter sections/subsections are in different orders. The information itself appears to be mostly the same (although there has been some updating in the Astronomy book), but it's pretty confusing to try to use the 2005 workbooks with earlier editions.

Is there a huge difference in editions? There seem to be 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 editions out there. Does it matter? Will resources for one work for all?

The 2005 to present ed's have a standardized test prep section for each chapter in the text. *I* like having the extra practice it offers, but many would probably say it is not worth the extra $.

You can also purchase the Teacher Express CD through Amazon Marketplace (they are $199 from PH), this contains the entire interactive text, teacher's edition, labs, student workbooks, answer keys, lesson plans, and more for all 16 of the books. I paid $89 for it, but I'm a little nervous because one seller listed it as only 2 discs, and that is a LOT of info to fit on 2 discs.

Hmmmm... this arrived today, but it says "Demo" at the top. I don't want to open the package in case I need to send it back, and they are closed until Monday to call and ask. Wouldn't "Demo" mean it isn't the complete package, somehow?

FWIW -- I purchsed the Student Text, Guided Reading Workbook, and Interactive CD-Rom all at the same time direct from the publisher. According to my receipt, the text is c2009, the CD is c2007, and the workbook is c2005. All of the page numbers line up that I looked at. Also, the student workbooks and teacher's all-in-one books do not contain copyright dates inside the books (strange!).

Hi. :) Me again. :)

My curiosity got the better of me and I opened the CD, and it contains ONLY the Teacher Express content of ONE book, not all 16. GRRRRR!!! The listing on Amazon was misleading. I've e-mailed the seller I bought it from to request a return, we'll see.

Please don't make the same mistake I did! :(