Menu

Anyone grind their own flour?

We got a Nutrimill a few months ago and I love it! I have one question ~ how often do you clean out the machine/flour bowl? I've been cleaning it everytime I use it, but that seems a bit tedious.

I tried googling it, but all I found was a bunch of websites about how often people clean the bowls of their bongs when smoking weed...:tongue_smilie:

I clean mine after every time I use it.

It is a hassle, which is why I try to do several batches worth of flour each time, and then I measure it into freezer bags and freeze it, so I only have to grind once every month or so.

The flour will not spoil if it isn't frozen, but it will maintain it's nutrients better if it is.

ETA: I didn't clean it every time when I first started, but then one time I found there were bugs inside my machine when I went to use it.

Edited by mmconde

I have a k-tech (I think that's the name) we've been grinding our own whole wheat for nearly 30 years. we clean it every time, it really doesn't take that long. I was less than amused by sil when she borrowed it and hadn't cleaned it. seriously. never. again. was. she. going. to. use. it. It was really hard to clean after I got it back.

Other than when I first bought it, I've never washed mine. I just tap the bowl several times and brush out the loose powder. I don't make much bread in the summer and even after several months of non-use there is no smell in there. I figured if anything that mattered was left I'd be smelling that rancid smell of whole wheat but since there is no smell, I figure I'm good.