Menu

Ideas for a study on princesses. Maybe turned into a character study?

joyfulhomeschooler

When asked what my daughter wanted to learn about this year, of course she responded with PRINCESSES! :) Obviously we are going to learn about real life ones and not the cartoon fairy tale ones... although we may incorporate that too. So I am at a loss of how exactly to go about teaching this. Should I myself study Grace Kelly, Princess Diana, etc. and then summarize for her? What about turning it into a character study? Really any ideas would be very helpful.

If you do use the original fairy tales, you can pick one from each country, study the country, study things from each tale (ocean life with the mermaid, sleep with Sleeping Beauty, etc). For a real-princesses-only you can study the country, the geography, the roles the princess plays in each government, maybe make food from each country, related craft, etc.

My daughters love princesses as well and may someday wish to learn about them. The difficulty is that there are few princesses covered in history texts. Why? That could be a big topic discussing power, property and how societies have viewed women and men through the ages.

Another topic could be different methods of government-monarchy, aristocracy, feudalism, and so forth. How does a regular kid view these governments? Are they "fair"? To what extent should power over other people be passed from father to son/daughter rather than on merit? What are the benefits and drawbacks of these governments?

Princess Diana and Princess Grace both married princes and thus became princesses. You may also ask her to study Queen Mary, Elizabeth I, Victoria, Elizabeth II, Queen Isabella and so forth. I believe some nations have changed their laws regarding primogeniture fairly recently (thinking Sweden).

Finally, fairy tale princesses are enchanting. Why? What would happen next?

Edited by cfn10
Edited there to their.

One thing I did with my oldest daughter when she was in 1st grade was "Cinderella Around the World". There are Cinderella-type stories (rags to riches, magical shoe, magical helper) in Korea, Egypt, China, even a male Cinderella-type character from Ireland, etc.

She loved the stories and it was a great way to show her how stories are told, changes, and retold throughout the world (and I made sure to emphasize and demonstrate that fact.)

We did expand upon that.. looking at older versions of stories and comparing them with modern Disney princess stories, and how elements of mythology exist in modern storytelling as well.

When asked what my daughter wanted to learn about this year, of course she responded with PRINCESSES! :) Obviously we are going to learn about real life ones and not the cartoon fairy tale ones... although we may incorporate that too. So I am at a loss of how exactly to go about teaching this. Should I myself study Grace Kelly, Princess Diana, etc. and then summarize for her? What about turning it into a character study? Really any ideas would be very helpful.

I recently recommended The Barefoot Book of Princesses by Caitlin Matthews - it has princess stories from around the world. The series of Cinderella stories from around the world would also be worth looking at. You could also touch on the various forms royalty take around the world, e.g. sultans or sheikhs in Arabia, emperors in Japan.

We have a lovely fiction book called Princesses are not Quitters which is very amusing, and would be a good angle for the character study. In the book the princesses are bored and decide to do the work of their maids for a day. They are soon overwhelmed and exhausted, but princesses are not quitters, so they finish out the day, then enact laws to make life more equitable for the workers in the kingdom.

Honestly, for a younger child (of the age that probably responded that she'd like to learn about princesses) I'd probably focus more on myths and legends as a backdrop to a culture study, while also bringing in a character study angle.

Real princesses could make a very interesting study for older girls, particularly what it means for commoners to marry into royal families, as there are more and more examples nowadays - Princess Mary the Australian who married into the Danish royal family, and the wives of the current and previous Jordanian rulers come to mind. I think the same thing happened in Japan?

There is a series of books about real life princesses on Amazon. The series is Ready-To-Read Young Princesses Around the World. It's hilarious that I know this, because my daughter couldn't care less about princesses and neither could I, but somehow I know this anyway. :lol: Here's one of them, to help you find them all: http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Royal-Pony-Ready-Read/dp/0689871910/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

There's also this book: http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Queens-Portraits-Women-Power/dp/0525471588/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1Z4VGM7KF8ED2&colid=FQRI03OI2QB1 That's queens, not princesses, but almost all queens were a princess first. :)

This book is about the last princess of Hawai'i: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Princess-Story-Kaiulani-Hawaii/dp/0688180205/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2H08K5FWKFH6S&colid=FQRI03OI2QB1 If you have Netflix, there is also a movie about her, although most of it would be over a child's head. Still, there's nothing inappropriate in it that I recall, and you could explain as you watch.

Thanks everyone for the great idea's. I think many of you are on to something with her age and adding in the myths and legends or stories from other countries about princesses. We are actually doing my fathers world "Exploring Countries and Cultures" this year with her older brother so this could really fit in nicely. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. You also gave some good book recommendations. So thanks again for all the advice... now I have some planning to do :)

Oh, what a great idea! My girls love princesses! I think we'll take a week or two and learn about them as well.

I just followed the links and got 3 of the 4 Young Princesses books (got two from paperbackswap.com and one used from Amazon). The Cleopatra one is still a bit too expensive...I'd like to find it cheaper. I think I'll mix a few fairy tales in too and discuss the differences between real life and fairy tales. And we'll do some princess type crafts. And discuss the life of a real princess.

Thanks for the great idea!

Princess Diana and Princess Grace both married princes and thus became princesses. You may also ask her to study Queen Mary, Elizabeth I, Victoria, Elizabeth II, Queen Isabella and so forth. I believe some nations have changed their laws regarding primogeniture fairly recently (thinking Sweden).

I think that would be important. Some princesses grow up to become Queens. :)

Have you looked at this and this from homeschoolshare? The first one looks better for a younger girl and the second for older girls.

Hmmmm......now that I look at them, I think my daughter would enjoy them too!:)

lol What little girl wouldn't love to learn about princesses for school :D. I love these thanks for sharing! We already have one of the books used too. It is the princess kiss one... very good book by the way.

For fiction reading, I recommend Princess Grace. Here's the description:

This year two girls will be selected as princesses in the town parade, and Grace can’t wait to be one of them. It’s the perfect opportunity to dress up—but how, exactly, should a princess costume look? Grace asks her teacher for help, and soon the whole class is learning that there’s more to princesses than pink dresses and frills. From Kenya to China and from warriors to spies, princesses are a multicultural and multitalented bunch, and there are just as many kinds of happily ever afters—both for the royals and for Grace’s community and its princess parade.

Have fun with your princess study!

We have a lovely fiction book called Princesses are not Quitters which is very amusing, and would be a good angle for the character study. In the book the princesses are bored and decide to do the work of their maids for a day. They are soon overwhelmed and exhausted, but princesses are not quitters, so they finish out the day, then enact laws to make life more equitable for the workers in the kingdom.

Honestly, for a younger child (of the age that probably responded that she'd like to learn about princesses) I'd probably focus more on myths and legends as a backdrop to a culture study, while also bringing in a character study angle.

This book sounds great! I highly recommend the book The Paper Bag Princess, it's about a princess who defeats a dragon and rescues her prince by using her brains! Only to find out in the end...well, okay, I won't spoil it!:D But, it's a princess who doesn't require saving;).

I just bought the Globetrotting with Cinderella also. I have looked at it up to chapter 4. We are going to use it as a presentation at our co-ops geography fair. So I looked through it to see what I need to change to make it into a presentation.

I liked how you read the story, then studied the country ,and then went back to the story to notice any cultural differences.

I LOVE The Paperbag Princess!

This book sounds great! I highly recommend the book The Paper Bag Princess, it's about a princess who defeats a dragon and rescues her prince by using her brains! Only to find out in the end...well, okay, I won't spoil it!:D But, it's a princess who doesn't require saving;).

Hmmm, kind of mixed on this one. I like the idea of it. From what I can see though... in the end she lets the prince treat her not so nice. :( Don't want my daughter learning that it's ok for men to treat women that way. Since you have read it though and I am just getting this from the reviews what are your thoughts on the ending?

DD learned to read by borrowing almost anything from the library that had "princess" as a keyword. We did the Cinderella around the world, Smartypants etc. It was a bittersweet moment when the princess-obsessed little girl woke up on her 7th birthday & declared "no more princesses". :001_huh:

Anyway, I found the Royal Diaries series of historical fiction as her interest was waning, so we only read a couple to coordinate with history/unit studies:

Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C.

Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466

Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544

Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553

The Royal Diary: Catherine, the Great Journey Russia, 1743

Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria-France, 1769

Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829

Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914

Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan 1858

Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595

Jahanara: Princess of Princesses, India, 1627

Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595

Lady Of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749

Not exactly princess-centered theme, but there's some cute royalty references in the Math Adventure series with Sir Cumference.

I recently recommended The Barefoot Book of Princesses by Caitlin Matthews - it has princess stories from around the world. The series of Cinderella stories from around the world would also be worth looking at. You could also touch on the various forms royalty take around the world, e.g. sultans or sheikhs in Arabia, emperors in Japan.

Real princesses could make a very interesting study for older girls, particularly what it means for commoners to marry into royal families, as there are more and more examples nowadays - Princess Mary the Australian who married into the Danish royal family, and the wives of the current and previous Jordanian rulers come to mind. I think the same thing happened in Japan?

You are so right! After doing more research and reading all the posts. I have decided the "real princess approach" would be better for an older child. I am going the route of myths and legends with the culture study... I will throw in character as I see fit. Many of the book recommendations on here will be included :) Thanks!

DD learned to read by borrowing almost anything from the library that had "princess" as a keyword. We did the Cinderella around the world, Smartypants etc. It was a bittersweet moment when the princess-obsessed little girl woke up on her 7th birthday & declared "no more princesses". :001_huh:

Anyway, I found the Royal Diaries series of historical fiction as her interest was waning, so we only read a couple to coordinate with history/unit studies:

Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C.

Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466

Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544

Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553

The Royal Diary: Catherine, the Great Journey Russia, 1743

Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria-France, 1769

Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829

Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914

Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan 1858

Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595

Jahanara: Princess of Princesses, India, 1627

Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595

Lady Of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749

Not exactly princess-centered theme, but there's some cute royalty references in the Math Adventure series with Sir Cumference.

It is so sad when they outgrow a stage :( Why can't they just stay little forever lol.

Thanks for this though! Looking them up on the library website now. I am still getting aquainted with the paperbackswap site... but hopefully will be able to find them there if no one else snatches them first lol

It is so sad when they outgrow a stage :( Why can't they just stay little forever lol.

Thanks for this though! Looking them up on the library website now. I am still getting aquainted with the paperbackswap site... but hopefully will be able to find them there if no one else snatches them first lol

Wait... these might be too old for her yet? Maybe for when she is a little more mature...