Menu

What's the best tile/grout color for a small bathroom?

Our bathrooms are both gutted thanks to a tree coming through the roof. I am now forced to make design decisions I never wanted to make. What color tile/grout should I use for two very small bathrooms? One will have a very large, roll-in shower and the other will have a very small tub.

I'm comfortable with color, but it's probably better to use paint for that. I don't want to clean white grout anymore and I definitely don't want harvest gold tile going back in. I guess tile comes in different sizes now too. Ugh. Please just tell me what to do. I don't WANT to decorate. I just want to bathe.

Whatever color grout you choose, be sure to apply grout sealant before you start using the floor. It will keep your grout looking fresh and make the floor easier to clean.

:iagree: Epoxy grout is even better if you can afford it.

We own an interior decorating store and in general we tell our clients that bigger tile is better in a small room. It visually opens up the space (and as a bonus, you will have fewer grout lines to clean). If you want to get the biggest bang for your buck, have the tile installed on the diagonal. It will give you longer lines for your eye to follow and it will add lots of interest to the floor.

As to color, it is a matter of preference. Personally, I like tile that resembles stone with lots of color variation and I tend to go with one of the darker shades of that color for the grout ... but again it is all about preference.