Menu

Math suggestions for advanced 1st grader?

Ipsey

My youngest is really math-oriented.

She knows all of her times tables through 12. Grasps concepts very quickly.

The other day, she surprised her 3rd grade brother by working in negative numbers more readily than he did.

She goes to public school, but is in the advanced math section.

What can I supplement her with at home?

I've done ABeka in the past, and Singapore, but she needs more.

What can anyone suggest?

Thanks!

We really love MEP, a free British curriculum based on Hungarian math. It's full of interesting puzzles and challenges.

Note that you will want both the lesson plans and the practice book pages, because the lesson plans often include activities that aren't in the practice books.

Your DD sounds similar to mine. My 6 yr old is all over the place in Math so I mix up different math curricula for it to stay challenging. She does a mix of MEP (yr 3-7), Singapore challenging word problems (1 &2 grade), Math-U-See (beta/gamma/epsilon) worksheets, logic puzzles (sudoku), math games like magic squares etc.

I will third Ed Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math as a supplement (but only I will spell his last name correctly :tongue_smilie:).

Do keep a sharp-eye out for next summers release of the Beast Academy books from AoPS, based n the sample these will be top-of-the-heap.

Bill