Menu

Worst thing ever said by dd!

Question added in post 10

Dd was doing her fast forward lesson. All I heard was, "How am I supposed to know what nouns and verbs are?" SERIOUSLY :svengo::thumbdown::confused1::banghead::cursing:

Her report cards from kindy through 4th grade say she was doing great. If they still did normal letter or number grades, she'd be in the upper 80s to 90s or Bs and As. How can a 5th grade child not know verbs and nouns be doing well!!!???

Seriously thinking about suing the 2 school districts to make them pay for the cost to homeschool her and get her back on track. (ok, only a passing thought in my mind, but it would be nice.) I could drop the PS cyber and homeschool "really for real" (as ds would say).

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

My child who I brought home to start homeschooling in 4th grade hadn't learned nouns and verbs. I'm not sure when, if ever, in the public school, they teach them. Their approach to learning how to write is to just do it, and read, and eventually it will get better. They also don't care about spelling. I think maybe in 9th grade she may learn it, but I did parts of speech with her and a full year of Analytical Grammar, so I think she's pretty good at this point.

I taught middle school for years and my students quite frequently had never been exposed to noun and verb. It was so frustrating to have a class room of 12-year olds who can't identify a noun in a sentence.

Now, we're homeschooling and using CLE (which I love FTMP). But my biggest pet peeve with CLE is that the 2nd grade material introduces parts of speech without using their real names. Verbs are "action words." Adjectives are "describing words." I make a HUGE issue of it with DD and make her use the names for the parts of speech. But maybe her teachers have been using other terms for noun and verb and that's why it doesn't ring a bell?

I was in public school (mostly in CA) for K-6 and I didn't learn about nouns and verbs until 7th grade when I went to a private school in AK that used PACE and I was placed in 4th grade English and Spelling :glare: I did a lot to catch up, and when I went back to high school in CA I was ahead of most of my classmates. So, yeah, it's possible.

Dd was doing her fast forward lesson. All I heard was, "How am I supposed to know what nouns and verbs are?" SERIOUSLY :svengo::thumbdown::confused1::banghead::cursing:

My last year (after 9 years) of teaching writing to homeschoolers...I taught high school, at a co-op. I had 20 students. None of those kids had ever been in public school. They ranged in age from 14 to 18. Two of them knew what nouns and verbs were. Seriously. It's not just public school - most people these days - including some school districts - don't understand the importance of grammar.

I have my kids home for the first time this year, and while my 5th grader knows what nouns and verbs are, he had never used a dictionary and had no idea how to use it.

He also had never seen a long division symbol (they used Investigations in his PS...one of the many reasons we are at home this year). We are having to learn all sorts of new things this year, and I'm sure there are still more things that he should have been taught by now, but hasn't.

I had to teach the whole neighborhood so they could do mad libs :(

I know that my attempt at grammer is far from great, some days not even good, but I remember being able to have a blast with mad libs! Dd can't do them. But thank you for the great reminder and teaching tool. :D

ETA- Spelling, too on many days!

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

I love this Grammar book :http://www.amazon.com/Giggly-Guide-Grammar-Cathy-Campbell/dp/1931492220

We have used Bob Jones (good but tedious after a few years) and Growing With Grammar(boring imo).

Giggly Grammar is funny and puts things in very simple terms.

I taught middle school for years and my students quite frequently had never been exposed to noun and verb. It was so frustrating to have a class room of 12-year olds who can't identify a noun in a sentence.

Now, we're homeschooling and using CLE (which I love FTMP). But my biggest pet peeve with CLE is that the 2nd grade material introduces parts of speech without using their real names. Verbs are "action words." Adjectives are "describing words." I make a HUGE issue of it with DD and make her use the names for the parts of speech. But maybe her teachers have been using other terms for noun and verb and that's why it doesn't ring a bell?

I think some people teach this way in the early years so that kids get really solid in what a verb or noun actually *means*. Then, a couple years later, putting a label on the type of word becomes the easy part. By not focusing on the label, a young child is free to focus on what the word is actually doing in the sentence. I don't mind this way of teaching, but I understand why it's important to label them eventually.

Ditto on the mad libs. I could not use these in the classroom because I got tired of the "What's a noun..a verb..an adjective...?"

A quick, fun filler could take an entire class period. Not that it isn't important, but seriously...?

Grammar makes some people nervous. My friend that homeschooled with ABeka books is the go-to person at my school site.

She is a grammar guru:D

Are there any fairly decent but cheap grammar workbooks?

We use Spectrum Grammar Amazon about $10. I really like them for simple brush up/intro to subjects. If she needs more you can always try free worksheet sites like superteacherworksheets.com (I think thats it?) Also look up some of the vintage books on google. I can't think of their exact names right now (i'm on desktop they're on laptop). I really liked them and they're free!

Dd was doing her fast forward lesson. All I heard was, "How am I supposed to know what nouns and verbs are?" SERIOUSLY

Well, my dd10 with Asperger's would get along great with your dd10 with Asperger's.. They can talk about how much their grammar books don't make a lick of sense..:lol: It doesn't matter how many times I try to explain to my dd what a pronoun is.. The child has an IQ of 142, but can't figure grammar out to save her life.. She has language processing issues as well as slow processing speed AND she also has auditory processing issues.. Sometimes I think something ate half of her IQ, because she certainly doesn't act like she has an IQ that high. She will whine and complain that she has no idea what a pronoun or a verb phrase or a preposition is when I JUST explained this all to her two days ago! :banghead:

She uses Easy Grammar, but this is her first year with it.. For the past two years she has used Growing With Grammar and before that it was FLL. I *think* she is going to do fine with Easy Grammar after she gets the hang of what a preposition is. One of her issues is not understanding the directions on the page.. I told her they are pretty much the same directions every day.. Cross out the prepositional phrases, underline the noun once, underline the verb or verb phrase twice.. She starts in with "But I don't know what a verb phrase is" or "How do I know what a preposition is?" Her language therapist had me bring her grammar book in to therapy once and she did a grammar lesson with them.. Of course, she didn't have any issues with them. Just a little trouble getting started. She was fine when prompted.:glare:

My oldest Aspie daughter is a whiz with languages and has very fast processing with very large vocabulary, etc.. So they are complete opposites. :tongue_smilie: