Menu

Who donates to The Book Samaritan?

hsmom

I have tons of stuff here that I need to get rid of and after listing things a while back I noticed not too much is really selling anymore. Also donating them sounds better anyways.

So, how many here have or are planning to donate to The Book Samaritan? Have you had an easy time in doing so? Also if you do donate do you ask for the donation receipt for a tax deduction? I am not too worried about that part, but a small perk I guess.

I have donated to them. It's been a couple of years now, and I don't remember if I got a tax receipt. (I assume I did.)

The only drawback is that you have to box your stuff up and mail it to them (and pay the postage). The postage is tax deductible too; but it becomes a project. It is easier to give it to somebody local; but, of course, that's not tax deductible.

I *hate* taking my stuff to the resale shop and getting like $18 for an enormous, expensive box of precious books. I'd honestly rather give it away.

I have donated to them in the past, but I don't think I ever got a tax receipt back or any acknowledgement. I mailed them from my parents' house in the States when I was visiting, and I'm sure they would have mentioned if I had gotten a letter there afterwards. I assume they got everything, but I don't know. I've also gotten books from them in the past and found their help invaluable.

Good idea. I like spending the little extra on delivery confirmation for my peace of mind.

I have donated to them a couple of times. Along with the books, I send along a list of the enclosed books with my name and address. I receive a tax deduction receipt and an appreciative form letter a few months later.