Menu

Atelier Art Hang Up

Caraway

Okay, so I purchased the Atelier Art program through HSBC. I got Level 3.

The first lesson requires watermelon seeds. According to the written materials the kids are going to paste the seeds on the paper and then draw roots below and a tree above.

Can you guess my issue???

Trees do not grow from watermelon seeds. The idea of this is driving me crazy. I mean I know that the easy thing would be to go collect acorns. Or to say "Hey kids, trees don't grown from watermelon seeds. See that in the backyard? That is a watermelon plant." But it still bothers me. :lol:

It is like all those "she says it is secular but she is a YEer, so maybe some will sneak in and I won't notice" arguments. Like what else is ahead if we start with trees growing out of watermelon seeds??? I haven't watched the video yet. Will that make me feel better?

:iagree:I thought the same thing! Why couldn't they have just wrote "seed"???

We are waiting for the rain to stop (hopefully tomorrow) so we can study trees outside before the lesson. By the way, we will be using apple seeds. :D

I read through the first few lessons to gather materials and nothing else odd jumped out at me.

:iagree:I thought the same thing! Why couldn't they have just wrote "seed"???

We are waiting for the rain to stop (hopefully tomorrow) so we can study trees outside before the lesson. By the way, we will be using apple seeds. :D

I read through the first few lessons to gather materials and nothing else odd jumped out at me.

Glad to hear it is not just me. Apple seeds are a great idea!

I would guess that the reason they suggest watermelon seeds is that they're flat and stick well to the paper.

I get that - but then why not draw a watermelon plant? Or just draw the tree seed to begin with. It is an art program, nothing states the need to glue a specific seed. :001_huh:

I think it's because the seeds are large, flatish and dark. Watermelon seeds are visually appealing as seeds. I assume they're just meant to be a seed archetype. Of course I haven't seen the program and I know nothing about it.

I'd use them and say that they represent tree seeds because they are easier to acquire, or larger, or darker, or easier to glue, or plentiful, etc.

We did the first lesson last Friday. I understood why the specific seeds were suggested, but also thought it was better to draw our seed rather than use a seed that was wrong for the picture we intended to draw. Actually, we never did end up drawing the seed! We just showed the roots under the ground. We also decided to turn our paper the long way to enable us to draw a nice tall tree.:D

The whole seed thing bothered me too. We just did the lesson without the seeds. I'm such a rebel that we also didn't draw the underground roots. That part bothered me as well because if the whole point is to really observe what a tree looks like, then why add the roots that you can't observe?

I also think the seeds made it seem more like a K art lesson.