Menu

First day of school..I'm one of THOSE moms!

My little boy's big day and I am so sad!!

He really wanted to ride the school bus so he walked with my neighbor's older son. My ds4 and I waited a few minutes then walked over to the bus stop too. Ds7 was so excited to see all the kids and when the bus came he went right over to get on. Meanwhile I'm loudly calling him saying, "Wait, come give me a hug and kiss!!" and run over to him. Then I ask the bus patrol girl to keep an eye on him for me since he's never been on the bus before and never been to school before for that matter.

THEN, I go back home get in my car and drive over to the school, see him off the school bus and walk him to class. I didn't want to leave and he just kept saying "okay, bye mom!".

Dh started laughing at me and said I need to "cut the cord" before I turn into my MIL!:tongue_smilie:

I'm laughing with you..I can see me doing the same thing given the chance.

How long is his bus ride?

It's about a 20 min. bus ride. The school is only 1.5 miles away, I wanted to drop off/pickup myself and if it weren't raining heavily I would have wanted to walk him there. But he is just obsessed with the school bus so I let it go.

And the saddest part about this morning is that my youngest (who is old enough to attend K but I'm still homeschooling him and until today would proudly declare that he never wanted to go to school), said he wanted to ride the bus and go to Kindergarten. :svengo: I've got serious separation anxiety it seems!:D

My daughter's first day of 1st grade is tomorrow. Even though I'd normally be driving she and two others in our carpool to school in the morning, we're all driving our own kids for the first day.

Yep...we're those parents. ;)

:thumbup: I'm hoping he'll get tired of the bus and want me to take him eventually... but this might just be wishful thinking!

And one day they will leave us for college :confused:

Please don't remind me, I keep thinking that will be a really long time from now. But then I never imagined the day he would get on a yellow bus and go to school. :)

I want to know if you took photos?

And...

How did it go after returning home?

I took a picture of him before he left the house. It was raining too hard to lug my dh's big camera to the bus stop, so I plan on doing it tomorrow if it's not rainy. I'll probably take enough pics to fill up a picture album!!

When he came home he excitedly told me they watched Cyberchase! Apparently this was part of "math time" :glare:. And since they couldn't go outside due to the rain, they played legos. He was also jumping up and down saying if they get 45 green cups on their lunch table they get to watch a movie and eat popcorn.:confused: I have no idea what that means. I sure do hope they plan on doing more than watching tv and playing with legos. They can do that at home!! I'm sure they did other things, but of course those are not interesting enough to tell me about.:tongue_smilie:

Then he fell asleep. He was pretty exhausted. I had to wake him up to eat dinner.

He's lucky to have one of "those" parents :001_smile: Right there with you!

Thanks! I'm glad you all don't think I'm crazy!

My neighbor's kids go to the same private school as my oldest....20 minutes away. We drove our own for the first 2 weeks to get them settled (mine is brand new, hers is not.) The morning where I pulled out behind her, followed her the whole way there, got in line behind her, and followed her the whole way back.....that was the day we nailed down our carpool plans.

And my Kindy dd is still at home and having a hard time. She's alone with me all day and when sissy gets home, she has HOMEWORK to do and is tired and a little grumpy and needs some space to chill. Younger wants her to play. Her Classical Conversations starts soon, so I'm hoping that helps.

:svengo:

When my dd was in K, she told me after a week, "Just drop me off. You don't need to walk me in." Um...yes, I do, I really need to...

That reminds me of my mom telling the story of my first day of K. I came home from school and announced that now that I went to school I was too old to call her mommy, I only ever called her mom after that.

I remember when my kids went to ps, I drove them almost everyday (sometimes they took the bus from the daycare if I had to work early). I walked them to their classes everyday, ds finished 2nd grade in ps and dd finished 1st from K-2nd I walked him to his class everyday (and her for K-1st), was room mother, on every fieldtrip, active in the PTA. Yup I was one of THOSE mothers. Luckily they loved it, and never got embarassed by it. Many of their friends in ps said they wished their moms or dads could come to school with them too. Keep being one of THOSE mothers even if your kid claims they don't care, they will always remember that you cared enough to be there for those moments. Especially as they get older. DS is 13 now, I still get a hug and kiss when he goes off somewhere, and if he had started ps this year like we considered I would have taken him to his first day still and he is in 7th grade! He loves it though, even if he blushes a bit when someone sees him give me a hug and kiss good bye.