Menu

Cypress with Unicorn Core, 14 1/2 inches, Slightly Springy.

Yep, I'm a big ol' geek.

I got my welcome letter to beta test Pottermore this evening. It's only the first book, but the backstory about the characters, especially McGonagall and the Dursleys is wonderful! It lags and stutters at times, but it's in beta, and that's expected.

I'm waiting until tomorrow night to be sorted, so my son can see some of it.

It's the online Harry Potter experience...JKR decided to make this website as a "thank you" to the fans of her books and movies. It was announced in late June that it would open in October. Last month there were 1 million spots to become a beta tester. I'm not sure how many are from each country, but I know the site is in 5 languages at this point.

You actually go through...storyboards, for lack of a better word-a few of them for each chapter. You pick up things like Chocolate Frog cards, galleons, etc. You even go to Diagon Alley and buy your schoolbooks and wand, potion ingredients, etc. When you arrive at Hogwarts you are sorted into your house, and your achievements in the game earn you house points.

If you're sorted into a house other than Gryffindor, you are given an extra approximate 1/2 chapter to read about their house and common room. I've read there are about 18,000 words she has written that didn't make it into the books, that Rowling's added to the site.

The site goes far to ensure children's security, by giving you a username instead of letting you make your own and editing comments on the spot to make sure no stray naughty words get past the censors. It's all built for the kids, but there are plenty of adults waiting for their welcome letters!

http://www.pottermore.com

insider.pottermore.com

ETA: the wand described in my heading is the wand that chose me at Ollivander's. You answer questions about yourself and it chooses you. You answer similar questions to be sorted into your house.

Edited by Maria from IN

I got Hornbeam with Dragon Core :D can't remember the length...the site is down at the moment, but I am HOPING that means good things (like maybe book 2 finally being ready?! :D :D)

I am LOVING it!! SO excited that I got in during the Magic Quill game!! I am MoonMagic65 if you want to add me ;) I am a Gryffindor :D

Yep, I'm a big ol' geek.

I got my welcome letter to beta test Pottermore this evening. It's only the first book, but the backstory about the characters, especially McGonagall and the Dursleys is wonderful! It lags and stutters at times, but it's in beta, and that's expected.

I'm waiting until tomorrow night to be sorted, so my son can see some of it.

Wow! That sounds awesome! I want to hear all about it!

I got Hornbeam with Dragon Core :D can't remember the length...the site is down at the moment, but I am HOPING that means good things (like maybe book 2 finally being ready?! :D :D)

I am LOVING it!! SO excited that I got in during the Magic Quill game!! I am MoonMagic65 if you want to add me ;) I am a Gryffindor :D

Just added you. I'm RoseNox208, Hufflepuff.

Any other beta testers out there?

Rumor has it that book 2 won't be ready until the first of next year.

This site is just too cool...I got on Facebook and found "I'm a Pottermore Beta Tester" and from there found the Hufflepuff Common Room...everyone is posting their usernames and adding each other as friends to Pottermore.

I have friends from Singapore, India, Indonesia, Trinidad, Portugal, Canada, United Kingdom...it's wonderful!

This site is just too cool...I got on Facebook and found "I'm a Pottermore Beta Tester" and from there found the Hufflepuff Common Room...everyone is posting their usernames and adding each other as friends to Pottermore.

I have friends from Singapore, India, Indonesia, Trinidad, Portugal, Canada, United Kingdom...it's wonderful!

I found this one too...

http://www.facebook.com/thepottermore

I just searched for the ones you mentioned and joined the Gryffindor board!!

I am bummed to hear book 2 won't be loaded until next year, but I kinda figured...we are the beta testers for the full release come October, and then once they have *all access* and worked out those kinks, I am sure the 2nd book will be added! I can't wait!! I wish they would open up Wizard Duel though b/c the potions are hard...I am actually doing pretty good with the practice spells so far!