Menu

Would you fax a copy of your child''s birth certificate?

EKS

I'm in the process of enrolling my son in a K12 high school course. They have requested that I fax a copy of my son's birth certificate as proof of age.

This seems to me to fall in the category of things not to do in light of all the problems with identity theft these days. Am I overreacting?

I had to do this with our charter school, I didn't have a problem, just made sure I had the correct fax #.

You could ask for a mailing address if you would rather mail it, but all schools will ask for a copy of the birth certificate. I didn't mail ours because timing was an issue and I wanted to get enrolled quickly.

This seems to me to fall in the category of things not to do in light of all the problems with identity theft these days. Am I overreacting?

The information on the birth certificate is only his DOB and parents, isn't it? That would be available in plenty other locations, so I don't see why that would be special.

I do not like to give the SSN which is usually NOT readily available.

I recently had to mail a copy of ALL of my children's birth certificates, our marriage certificate and a recent bill with both MomsintheGarden and my names on it to a representative of my employer to prove that all are eligible to continue to receive health benefits.

That said, there were specific instructions to write "NOT FOR OFFICIAL USE" on the copies and to BLACK OUT all social security numbers and personal/financial data on the documents.