Menu

Which abacus for Rightstart?

lorisuewho

Do I need the "al abacus" for Rightstart math or can I just use an abacus I already have (whose beads are not the same colors)? (photo added in a lower post)

I saw that the plastic standard abacus did not get great reviews, but the wooden one seems pricey.

so. . .my questions are:

1. Do I even need the "al" version of the abacus?

2. If I do need Al, is the plastic one good enough or should I spend the money for the wooden one?

Thank you.

Edited by lorisuewho

It will be much more difficult to use the abacus for the mental properties if the beads are not divided into the two separate colors in groups of 5's. The plastic one works just fine IMO, but if you like wood then get wood. We love our al-abacus and it is the one math manipulative used more than any other - I even make the kids use it to add up points in board games like Ticket to Ride which has been great for their math skills.

I'm not sure why the plastic one would get bad reviews? I have 2 of them (only $10 at Rainbow Resource, FYI), and my 2, 4, and 7 year old boys have played with them, stepped on them, thrown them. They're in GREAT shape. I can't say the same for other math manipulatives (like the geared clock :tongue_smilie:).

You do need the beads to be different colors (5 and 5). You could paint the beads on the one you have, but that's work for you. So if you're placing an RR order with free shipping anytime soon, I'd just pick up the $10 abacus. The one they carry is THE AL Abacus. I got one in the RS A kit and one separately from RR, and I have no clue which one is which. They're both brand name AL.

This is the abacus we have. The beads are grouped in 5, but not like the Al one. What do you think?

DSC09477.jpg

I also have all these left over beads from a beaded chair that fell apart. I also have little skewers that they fit on. But I'm not sure what I would attach the skewers to; we aren't really a handy wood-working family, more of a gluegun kind of gal.

DSC09478.jpg