Menu

Do you take notes when you read a book?

I'm thinking mostly non-fiction, but only because I've never taken notes while reading a fiction book. Maybe some of you have or do. I seem to remember reading a suggestion to take notes when reading War and Peace just to keep the characters straight.

Do you write in your book? I don't usually like to do that, but I have highlighted school books.

Just curious. ;)

I take notes of characters in fiction. I sometimes keep the notes in the back cover, if there is space. The first book I did it with was Ivanhoe when I read it in high school, as I couldn't keep everyone straight. Then I liked it so much, I kept it up.

With non-fiction, I usually read something once through. Then, I read it through again and take notes.

I don't usually write in books that much, other than my Bible. I do love to borrow books with notes in teh margins! :001_smile: It's like having a conversation about the book, while you are reading it.

For non-fiction books I will take notes, or just write in the book. I've found that I utilize the information better if is right in the book.

For fiction I should start. A list of characters is a great idea, I got confused reading "Pride & Prejudice". I don't usually write in the novels I plan on my son reading.

I am a very fast reader. Plus I discovered that I like to read a whole book for enjoyment first. So I do. Then if it is a worthwhile book or one I was doing for a class, then I go back and read it slowly and underline what I think are important passages or quotes that speak to me. I read a lot of Christian non-fiction...books like Margin or Phillip Keller or C.S. Lewis. I have a reading journal where I right down quotes that speak to me from them. Then many times I will journal my response to those quotes. If studying for a class then after I have read the book the 2nd time and underlined the important portions and/or character quotes, then I get out my legal pad and write these things down in whatever order/style I need for mastery in that class. If I know the professor wants characterization, then I organize my quotes. If it is themes then I write down the various thems and then put examples and quotes under each. It really depends on what the purpose is for what I am doing. My senior English teach taught us that you cannot really read a book without writing in it and I have never forgotten that or stopped.

Christine

One thing I have done (esp for Russian fiction) is to go to Sparknotes and print off their character lists. Then, I have a list all made up for me and I don't get confused. I don't usually write in books because I use the library whenever I can. But, I have been known to dog-ear pages and go back and copy parts into my notebook. I don't usually take notes, though.

I don't, but my dh likes to use a highlighter in some non-fiction books. The most I'd do is write a note for a resource I want to look into on another piece of paper. Sometimes I'll read a great non-fiction book a few times-I seem to get something different out of it each time.