Menu

SWB? Please read! Homeschool and SOTW PAYOFF!!

On a side note, that little chick of mine is almost at 100% She has full control of her neck, is SO strong, is walking around, etc. The ONLY issue I'm having with her is that she won't eat on her own. I still have to syringe feed her and she fights it every step of the way.

Denise, I"m so glad to hear about your chick! I've been wondering. HOpefully she'll start eating on her own? I'm sure you've tried tempting her with all sorts of treats?

astrid

Congratulations!

Molly's mom: how was SOTW presented to Molly? The way that's recommended:

1st: SOTW 1

2nd: SOTW 2

3rd: SOTW 3

4th: SOTW 4

5th: another round of SOTW 1

etc. etc.?

Is that what you did. PLEASE share anything that you think helped/made a difference.

Alley

I so badly want Autumn to enjoy SOTW :(

Sadly, she doesn't. I do though. Lol.

Same here, unfortunately. This would never happen with my son. He reads his book, and promptly forget anything related to it. If I ask for some work, he fights me tooth and nail. But there's nothing else really I could offer him right now. Well, there is, but he fights that too. At least he reads SOTW. But there's no retention.

Sigh...

Wow, this is awesome! Congratulations to your dd! My dd is just getting ready to start SOTW (we are doing the series for grades 5-8).

So, this is my question: how do I access the series for grades 5-8?

Thanks -- don't mean to hijack!

Huge congrats again -- your family must be truly celebrating!

Alley

Congratulations!

Molly's mom: how was SOTW presented to Molly? The way that's recommended:

1st: SOTW 1

2nd: SOTW 2

3rd: SOTW 3

4th: SOTW 4

5th: another round of SOTW 1

etc. etc.?

Is that what you did. PLEASE share anything that you think helped/made a difference.

Alley

Hi Alley,

We withdrew Molly from ps in April of her 2nd grade year. We kind of de-schooled for the remainder of 2nd grade, while I got my shiz together and researched curricula.

So in 3rd grade we started with SOTW 1, 4th was SOTW 2, 5th was SOTW 3, and 6th was SOTW 4.

Every day she'd read a chapter aloud to my mom, then my mom would ask her the comprehension questions in the Activity Guide. Then Molly would write a summary or do an outline of the chapter (outlines came later, maybe SOTW 3 and/or 4?) We did virtually NONE of the crafts, games, or mummified chickens, etc. and didn't read many of the literature selections. A few, but not many. She took the tests on Friday. I"m thinking back and I think the usual routine was:

Monday: read the chapter, answer the comprehension questions aloud

Tuesday: write the summary/do the outline

Wednesday: map work and any other activity pages we decided to do (not too many, I can tell you that!)

Thursday: Review the discussion questions and the outline she wrote to study for the...

Friday: Chapter test.

7th and 8th grade we did Joy Hakim's The Story of Us, which she also loved.

I hope that helps! Molly loved SOTW, and so did we! We miss it... sniff sniff!

astrid

So, this is my question: how do I access the series for grades 5-8?

Thanks -- don't mean to hijack!

Huge congrats again -- your family must be truly celebrating!

Alley

I think it's the same series. We just bought the books and activity guides from Peace Hill Press.

astrid

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Alley,

We withdrew Molly from ps in April of her 2nd grade year. We kind of de-schooled for the remainder of 2nd grade, while I got my shiz together and researched curricula.

So in 3rd grade we started with SOTW 1, 4th was SOTW 2, 5th was SOTW 3, and 6th was SOTW 4.

Every day she'd read a chapter aloud to my mom, then my mom would ask her the comprehension questions in the Activity Guide. Then Molly would write a summary or do an outline of the chapter (outlines came later, maybe SOTW 3 and/or 4?) We did virtually NONE of the crafts, games, or mummified chickens, etc. and didn't read many of the literature selections. A few, but not many. She took the tests on Friday. I"m thinking back and I think the usual routine was:

Monday: read the chapter, answer the comprehension questions aloud

Tuesday: write the summary/do the outline

Wednesday: map work and any other activity pages we decided to do (not too many, I can tell you that!)

Thursday: Review the discussion questions and the outline she wrote to study for the...

Friday: Chapter test.

7th and 8th grade we did Joy Hakim's The Story of Us, which she also loved.

I hope that helps! Molly loved SOTW, and so did we! We miss it... sniff sniff!

astrid

I doubt mine will let me get away with not doing a lot of the crafts but I'm glad to hear how this went. We will be using SOTW in the future.

Congrats to your daughter!