Menu

My son complains when we have to start hs.

Wait, did you sneak in my house and clone my 4th grader? :tongue_smilie:

I have decided that boys that age are either sweet, wonderful creatures or little hellions trying to flex their pre-teen attitude. Sometimes they can even achieve both inside a time frame that would make most teenage girls look like hormonal under-achievers.

if you are firm, fair, and stay focused on the big picture he will eventually come around. *crosses fingers, closes eyes, and mutters please repeatedly*

I think those ladies up there are on to something.

Have him sit and write up a list of what he believes he should be responsible for each day to get done.

(not that you are gonna actually do that but..)

It might help give a view into his thinking of what he thinks is supposed to be going on and his idea of what is "fair".

Could be a good conversation starter anyway.

Okay, serious answer now. My son loves that we homeschool, but he is one of those kids that has to be eased into everything unless it was his idea start to finish. (For example, if he wants to study frogs, but I pick a resource that he didn't want to look at he would act as you described above.) He is portably still adjusting, especially if you are just a few weeks into homeschooling. You could try having a conversation about expectations, yours and his. Maybe there are some small adjustments that could leave you both satisfied.