Menu

How do you solve this math problem?

Are you sure that it didn't tell you what 'n' was in a previous problem or something?

The reason I'm asking is that I have always seen 'evaluate' used when you were asked to find a specific value, and 'simplify' used when they mean to use the distributive property to expand something.

However, if this is in a chapter on the distributive property, I'd assume that's what they meant.

6(n+8)

(6*n)+(6*8)

6n+48

6n+48-48=-48

6n=-48

6n/6=-48/6

n=48/6=8

close - but you can't just add an = if the original problem doesn't have one to begin with. The above is starting with the assumption that 6(n+8)=0. aAll you can do is distribute it to 6n+48, unless there is more info somewhere else.

close - but you can't just add an = if the original problem doesn't have one to begin with. The above is starting with the assumption that 6(n+8)=0. aAll you can do is distribute it to 6n+48, unless there is more info somewhere else.

:iagree:

You can't assume the expression equals anything. The best you can do is 6n + 48 without other info.

You know, I had forgotten about that!:lol:

It has been several years since algebra, and I have since moved to everything with an assignment operator, LOL

Ty for the reminder!