Menu

Does SWB have a History program for middle grades?

I just realized she had out ALL and WWS, I guess I have been in the dark. We are scheduled to start school in one week. I have a 7th grader. I looked at the PHP website, and didn't see anythng in History for middle grades. I see SOTW and two other books that list High School and Adult.

What does she recommend for 7th-8th grade History?

There isn't anything for middle grades. The recommendation is to use the Kingfisher Encyclopedia.

I dont have her book. I have the red Kingfisher book. I was thinking of doing my own Amercian History anyways. But would be great if she has an outline on how to implement it.

My other question is this. If I incorporate living books in with the time period we are studying, how or should we implement some kind of lit analysis?

I dont have her book. I have the red Kingfisher book. I was thinking of doing my own Amercian History anyways. But would be great if she has an outline on how to implement it.

My other question is this. If I incorporate living books in with the time period we are studying, how or should we implement some kind of lit analysis?

SWB has 2 really great lectures available for MP3 download (or you can buy a CD) on the PHP site that would flesh out the answers to your questions. I learned a lot listening (and re-listening) to them!

Great Books: History as Literature

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach IT?

There are also free downloads available of the lecture powerpoint slides she used on the linked pages.

HTH

I'm using SOTW vol 4 as my primary spine for 7th grade. I've added tons of literature and writing assignments to "fill it out" a bit and make it rigorous for a 7th grader. I have other resources, such The World Wars, Joy Hakim's History of US, various encyclopedias and atlases. It has come together nicely. We use the SOTW unit as a jumping off point for other great literature, geography, and government studies.

If you can get TWTM from the library it might be helpful. Especially once the grammar years are done it is less about what you are using and more about how you use them.

There are 6 steps to history in the logic stage. You need an encyclopedia, a globe and/or atlas, a timeline, a library card or other books on the topics, original sources and a binder. You also need to know how to outline.

If you do some searches in this forum you can find some good discussions about how people do it.

You might also be interested in History Odyssey from Pandia Press. It has logic stage products.

If you can get TWTM from the library it might be helpful. Especially once the grammar years are done it is less about what you are using and more about how you use them.

There are 6 steps to history in the logic stage. You need an encyclopedia, a globe and/or atlas, a timeline, a library card or other books on the topics, original sources and a binder. You also need to know how to outline.

If you do some searches in this forum you can find some good discussions about how people do it.

You might also be interested in History Odyssey from Pandia Press. It has logic stage products.

DO you know which guide, if any, for level two covers Pioneer Times?(AKA Laura Ingalls timeframe)

She recommends the Kingfisher encyclopedia with outlining.

I can't stand the Kingfisher, but I highly recommend K12's Human Odyssey series (you can get the books without enrolling in the classes). It is coherent and interesting and focuses on following ideas and themes through history.

My son started reading SWB's adult history books in the fourth grade, and he really enjoys them. Note that these are written for adults; the reading level is higher, and there may be what some folks deem not gentle enough content (I have no idea what that may be, I just know people have different content thresholds they deem appropriate, and these delightful books go into far more depth than SOTW).

You wil need to skip around to stay with one topic though-- I mark chapters with post-its to make it easy for him, and just move them around as we switch civ's.

He's now bumped up into a school year and we're still reading those to supplement HO2 Ancients.