Menu

I need a new vacuum.....

My beloved Miele died about 2 years ago. I could not afford to replace it with another Miele, so I bought a cheap (less than $200) vacuum. It has been great for the past 2 years but is in the quick working stage. So someone tell me a great vacuum that you love and doesn't cost a fortune.....

I was just vacuum shopping yesterday--I was planning to get my Kenmore fixed, but the thing has so many problems it's not worth it. The salesman at the independent vac store recommends Simplicity for affordable vacs with mostly metal parts. A friend of mine who cleans houses swears by her Simplicity. I'm considering the Electrolux canister which the sales guy said has all the features of a Miele and holds up as well, but costs less.

Would love to hear other advice too...at least they got my old vac to work a little while we save for a new one.

I just had a vacuum crisis this week and ordered a refurbished Electrolux canister from a vendor through Amazon, just under $200. It got the third highest rating on Consumer Reports for bagged canister vacs and I'm looking forward to using it in a few days. My last refurbished vac (a Hoover canister) lasted (with occasional minor belt repairs) around 20 years but was damaged in a move (sniff!). My two Kenmore vacs since then have been utter disasters.

We just bought a Shark Navigator Lift-Away, and I love it. It is new, though, so I can't speak to how long it will last. It had great reviews on Amazon, and I haven't experienced anything the reviewers who gave it poor reviews mentioned (mainly, people complained about the exhaust blowing air onto the floor and blowing the stuff you want to vacuum away from the unit--haven't had that problem at all). The suction is incredible, and the head is small, which I thought would annoy, but it turns out I love it. I can get into so many more spaces that I used to with my Kenmore. It's light, and the ability to break the stick apart in several places is handy. The extender wand reached all the way to our high ceiling to get cobwebs we previously couldn't reach.

So far, my only complaint has been that I can't seem to remove the brush to clean it, but I haven't researched it completely (there may be a way), and it was easy enough to remove the hair around it with scissors by hand.

I paid $147 for it at BB&B with a 20% off coupon, so I'm happy. We didn't have the money for a Dyson, and my mom hated both of hers, so we looked elsewhere too. It does seem like they are a love/hate thing.

Good luck searching!

Do some vacuums still have forward assist?

I have a Dyson. It has worked beautifully for nearly ten years, but it is pretty tough to push around. I don't know if that's because there is no forward assist or because it sucks on the floor so hard. Either way, I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm sweating, and I'm not a sweaty person, by the time I finish the living room.

I've got a Dyson, which people seem to love or hate. I love mine - I've had it 6+ years now.

:iagree: I've had a Dyson for a while now and I think it's tops! It can suck up socks, Polly Pocket parts, Legos, Smaller Lincoln Logs and survive.

There's a cool little trap that you can empty those things out of when you realize the suction has been impaired.