Menu

All About spelling vs. How to teach spelling by Rudginsky

warriormom

I just read a post from someone stating that HTTS is a workbook version of AAS. I looked for reviews and only found a couple on amazon. Do you know where I can find other reviews? If you have used both programs, can you compare and contrast them? I like the price of HTTS but I like the reviews of AAS. I am torn.

If you have used or are using HTTS, can you tell me the strengths and weaknesses of the program? Who do you think this would work for? Who would this not work for? :bigear:

They both teach nearly all the same phonograms and rules. The difference is that AAS is gentler on you and the child. AAS is completely guided and tells you exactly what to do & say. It also starts out VERY easy. HTTS helps you know what to teach but doesn't tell you what to say. The word lists start out more challenging as well. I have both programs and decided to use AAS at least in the beginning b/c I'm new to homeschooling and wanted the hand-holding.

AAS also has more manipulatives and is more hands-on. My kids are enjoying that aspect. I do not find that 15min a day is too much work for me. I put one kid on some Geography or Health workbooks while I do AAS with the other kid.

I do have HTTS for sale b/c I ended up with two sets! I'm going to give it a bump in the FS post. Or do a search, a few others are also selling it.

Best whishes :)

Edited by warneral

I'd agree with the above assessment. AAS holds your hand, giving you teacher training as you go. It also has more strategies spelled out. HTTS has harder words and sentences because it goes in a different order. Both have word lists that follow a single pattern, but in HTTS, you can do more difficult words in that list with an older child. Both have spiraling dictation that reviews words used in previous lists. In AAS, there are phonograms you wouldn't hit until level 5. In HTTS, you can learn the phonograms up front and get more practice with them within a year.

I just read a post from someone stating that HTTS is a workbook version of AAS. I looked for reviews and only found a couple on amazon. Do you know where I can find other reviews? If you have used both programs, can you compare and contrast them? I like the price of HTTS but I like the reviews of AAS. I am torn.

If you have used or are using HTTS, can you tell me the strengths and weaknesses of the program? Who do you think this would work for? Who would this not work for? :bigear:

I have used both (AAS briefly though).

HTTS has lots of dictation and all the spelling rules in the TM, but it is not as scripted as AAS. HTTS is easier to adjust and customize to your child's pace and spelling level. You can use the TM alone, or use the TM w/the workbooks. I think HTTS would work if - you want/need to easily customize the pace and level of words/dictation, you don't want spelling to be a big time/money investment.

I think AAS could work -if you have a beginning speller, if you like a totally scripted tm, if you and your child like lots of hands-on implements, if you don't mind having to buy all the levels to get a full spelling program.

Another BIG difference is price! AAS is not cheap. I ended up buying AAS levels 1-4 plus magnetic tiles for 90 or 100 on this board. Not cheap, but a little more affordable. I'm hoping to make it work with just 1 student pack per level for both kids.

If you wanted to use HTTS with phonogram tiles, you can print these on card stock, laminate them, and attach little magnets. I made some and the total cost was under $5.

http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-magnetic-phonogram-tiles.html

And that's all the AAS tiles are. They're laminated card stock. If you use different color card stock, you can even have the color coding the same as AAS does.

Have you seen online samples of each? Sometimes when I'm trying to decide between two programs, I look at the samples to try to get a feel for how it works and whether it will be a fit for me and my kids. I wouldn't let the number of reviews sway too much, but one thing I try to do when I read a review is figure out what type of teacher the mom or dad is, and what type of learner the child is, and does that match our situation? Something can be great for one family and terrible for another, just because of a mismatch of styles, abilities, personalities and so on. So when reading reviews, see what you can figure out from that standpoint, and that might help.

I haven't used HTTS, but I bought AAS 3+ years ago. I chose AAS because I really wanted something all laid out for me, open and go, and that moved a bit slower. AAS is specifically for kids who are either beginning spellers or who need remedial work because they are struggling for some reason, and I had struggling spellers. Here are AAS samples for each level. I hope you find the program that will work best for your needs and your child's! Merry :-)