Menu

Best resource for identifying trees?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly? I've had the best results just doing a google search with the entry, "identify <enter the name of your state> trees."

There's usually a website by the local county extension office or university department. I use the same trick for insects, too. I know it's just not the same as a beautiful field guide, but it helps get your subject named!

You can also look for a dichotomous guide. That will take you through a set of questions about characteristics of the subject to narrow the info down for a specific identification. Those are fun to try your hand at, at least once, even if such a guide doesn't become a regular tool for you.

I have What Tree is That?, which is put out by the Arbor Day Foundation. It's pretty small, and it asks questions about the leaves to lead you to which tree you are seeing, so as long as you know basic leaf terminology (simple, opposite, alternate, etc.), it's pretty easy. I like it! Of course, it isn't as specific to your area as a website, like AuntieM said. I still have to look up trees online because this book just isn't big enough to get too deep--like there are too many species of oak, for example, so not all VA ones are in there.

I have What Tree is That?, which is put out by the Arbor Day Foundation.

This is what I found and have used on several occaisions. Though (re-reading) I have used the website/online resource by the same name, not the book.

Thank you for the bump and the replies!

(in this regard, too bad my brother is a physicist ;) )