Menu

Sneakers for my aspie

Im going through a terrible pms fit and my dd aspie is driving me bonkers with her shoes. She wont wear the sneakers she chose 3 months ago. Then I bought a pair of champion sneakers she loved at target this week but today the arch support is to high and bugging her. I need help finding a sneaker! AHHH....anyone know of a store or brand that is not binding and doesnt have a huge arch support? I know it is ridiculous to ask...I am ready to throw all shoes in the trash! :willy_nilly:

I would take her to one of those stores that has a ped-orthist or similar and let them fit her. Our local New Balance store does that here. Once we knew what to look for in a shoe for my son, life was way easier. He isn't ASD though so I don't know if that will make a difference.

I get it. i have foot issues...SPD. Anyway....keds or something like them. Something with very little support in a size 1/2 size to big. I wear all my shoes 1/2 a size to big. And can't stand arch support. I do like some Nikes, but not all of them. They are the only brand I like though. Honestly, when I buy shoes I have to try on dozens to figure out what works. My son has similar issues, AND cares how they look, which I don't. I have said many times that if I ever kill him it will be while shoe shopping. Oddly enough my husband can go with him and they have no problem. I don't know why.

I would take her to one of those stores that has a ped-orthist or similar and let them fit her. Our local New Balance store does that here. Once we knew what to look for in a shoe for my son, life was way easier. He isn't ASD though so I don't know if that will make a difference.

New Balance have high arches for the most part, so that probably wouldn't work. I want to like them but can't because of that.

I like the Land's End Trekker Mary Janes & the Eveeryday Mary Janes. I do not like the way sneakers feel on my feet, especially the top of my foot. The Mary Jane style doesn't squash the top of my foot. I also have issues with too much arch, and these don't both me. They come in wide widths, too.

My 18yo Aspie is hyposensitive, so she doesn't notice anything. She just doesn't want anything with laces because it takes her a long time to get them tied.

My 15yo Aspie is hypersensitive. She wear Keens sandals almost exclusively. She will wear tennis shoes on very rare occasions, but sheds them as quickly as she possibly can. Since we live in Texas, she can wear sandals year-round. She can only wear shoes without laces because she has not mastered even basic knot-tying. I had to put cord-stops on all her drawstrings because she can't tie them.

My son loves Skechers and Vans, and we swap out the insoles for ones that feel better for him. They are nice and wide in the toe area, so even when his feet get too LONG for the shoe, they usually aren't too narrow.

Of course, now his feet are the same size as mine, and I'm having a hard time keeping him out of MY pair of Vans!

well...we went to Sports Authority and tried on a million shoes. She liked 2 but figures they didnt have her size. One was a smurf blue color with yellow laces. can you imagine. Not what I expected. My husband went along and was ready to pull his hair out. All the tongues bothered her...all the arches. :001_smile: She liked the asics

My aspie has one request : to be able to cross his toes.

I know, weird LOL.

I bought him some nice Sketchers and he hated them. After begging for them. He loves his velcro Converse shoes though. Maybe since they are a basic shoe. No random things to bug him.

socks and shoes were a major problem for my son a while ago (probably 1-2yrs)---drove us crazy--we'd get in the car to go somewhere and before we'd be out of the driveway the shoes/socks would be off because the socks were itching him of the shoes bothered him----same way when we would get to the store or something as soon as he was in the cart off the shoes/socks came (even IN WINTER LOL)... we tried sneakers/"sandals"/flip flops--never could find any rhyme or reason to it ...he outgrew it-haven't really had anymore problems with it this year......hope you find something that works for your kiddo......

I like the Land's End Trekker Mary Janes & the Eveeryday Mary Janes. I do not like the way sneakers feel on my feet' date=' especially the top of my foot. The Mary Jane style doesn't squash the top of my foot. I also have issues with too much arch, and these don't both me. They come in wide widths, too.[/quote']

I like these, too. Very comfy.:D

This style of shoe worked rather well for dd in place of sneakers.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WeatherMoccasin~210257_1189.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::SAN&CM_MERCH=IDX_Boys-_-ShoesBoots&origin=index

You can find cheapie versions of them in discount stores that are made with softer, though synthetic materials, with less of an arch.

The running shoe style of sneaker never worked because they have an arch and are meant to be snug. Nothing with shoe laces that had to be tied worked either.

Other things that worked: Uggs type of boots are good for the winter. Flip-flops.

It's gotten better, but we haven't completely outgrown the shoe issues. In the old days, if I found a shoe dd liked, I bought two pairs, one a size bigger. Even now with socks, if I find a kind she likes I buy large amount because we once got dependent on a certain type and they were discontiued and had a hard time finding other socks that would work for her.

Edited by NJKelli

My dd8 who struggles with SPD will ONLY wear her crocs (no knock-offs eiether!) and Danskin mary jane style shoes I got at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Girls-Kelley-Mary-Jane-Sneakers/15196848

It was SO frustrating since I just bought her the Sketchers Twinkle Toes a couple months BEFORE she had a "shoe sensitivity" and I wasn't a happy mama. But now I can feel at peace knowing she will wear the ones we got at Walmart.

Shoe-buying for my shoe-rejecting Aspie son, 10, is done at REI. He's a fan of Keens,but more importantly, they'll accept returns even if shoes have been worn. Same for online sales. Even if you never return, it's reassuring knowing you can and that they won't even blink.

You might want to try a dance store and see if anything there works. Jazz shoes, especially street Jazz shoes, are often basically sneakers, but with a split sole, and therefore NO arch support to speak of. My DD, who's borderline SID, loves her jazz shoes, except for tying them.

Im so glad to hear all the suggestions. It is so hard. I found a pair of nikes...They are the only pair that seemed a bit wider and had a very low arch. If anyone is interested... Nike Air Max Run Lite 2.

I have to go check out the Lands End ones! Those look great. I didnt have time to order online but I think I will go check those out.