Menu

Dr. Hive - what causes tonsil stones?

Are you sure you want to know?

What Causes Tonsil Stones?

Your tonsils are filled with nooks and crannies where bacteria and other materials, including dead cells and mucous, can become trapped. When this occurs, the debris can become concentrated in white formations that occur in the pockets.

Tonsil stones, or tonsilloliths, are formed when this trapped debris hardens, or calcifies. This tends to occur most often in people who suffer from chronic inflammation in their tonsils or repeated bouts of tonsillitis.

While many people have small tonsilloliths that develop in their tonsils, it is quite rare to have a large and solidified tonsil stone.

From WebMD

Oh, probably just EVIL causes them...because they are SO, SO, SO gross!!!

No offense to your DH, though. I'm sure he's not evil! ;)

I used to get them when I was a kid and I never wanted to ask the dentist what they were because they were just SO, SO, SO gross!!! Once I finally learned about them a few years ago, I was thrilled to be able to finally put a name to them.

I would try a water pik to remove and prevent them, and I would also consider seeing an ENT. My husband had his tonsils romoved a few years ago, and it has brought numerous benefits.