Menu

Do you ever think that the children's classic stories...

lmrich

are meant to be read by the parents? I declare I learn more from the children's classics than anything else.

I just finished reading The Jungle Book aloud. I am blown away. I remember having read it as a kid. It was cute, and I envied Mowgli's life in the jungle. But reading it as the adult; I am so in awe by the lessons. The ending is so sweet; I cried. Good hunting on your new trail. How supportive his mentors (Kaa, Baloo, and Baghrea) were with the new chapter in his life. I will have to remember this as I watch my kids grow up so quickly. Good hunting on your new trail.

What children's book do you think you enjoyed more than your child? or you enjoyed more as an adult than you remember as a child?

I didn't read it as a child, but The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane affected me more than it did my daughter, and The House Above the Trees, to a lesser degree. Most of Hans Christian Andersen's stories have deeper meaning to me now than they did when I read them in my youth.

I have not read Mary Poppins, ever. It is on my dd's list for this year. I am so lucky to be leading my dd and 6 of her friends for literature. We were able to discuss Jungle Book this week. We just talked about the characters and their conflicts. It was so exciting to hear them discuss that "greed" was the antagonist in the chapter, "The King's Ankus".

Heidi is next for us. I love Heidi; it has such amazing lessons. I love her attitude; I need to adopt her attitude. Of course I would like to adopt her home in the Alps.

I didn't read it as a child, but The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane affected me more than it did my daughter, and The House Above the Trees, to a lesser degree. Most of Hans Christian Andersen's stories have deeper meaning to me now than they did when I read them in my youth.

Seriously, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, made me bawl. I LOVED that book. It was amazing. I would start a book club for adults who only read children's book, of course, the one stipulation is that every book should come with a box of tissues.

Seriously, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, made me bawl. I LOVED that book. It was amazing. I would start a book club for adults who only read children's book, of course, the one stipulation is that every book should come with a box of tissues.

:iagree:

I also loved Little House in The Big Woods. I read it for the first time as an adult.:001_huh:

I enjoy reading The Long Winter in the heat of July. As an adult you realize how scary it was; as a kid I thought "what an amazing adventure!". I guess that is normal because as kid I did some stupid things in the name of "adventure" that I would never do now.

Tale of Desperaux--it had many profound things to say, and said them sparely--so much so that my dd didn't quite grasp how important they were, tho she totally enjoyed the story.

I agree with the PP about the Little House books--I now read between the lines! I used to dislike the Day of Games chapter in Plum Creek (I think that's what it's called). Now I have so much empathy with Ma and think she was quite the mom to do what she does in that chapter.

There are lots of other examples. Isn't that one of the marks of a timeless classic, that it can be enjoyed on different levels?

Why You Should Read Children's Books as an Adult

...children's books are often flat-out inspirational. They make you want to be a better person. They make you believe that you can be a better person. They give you examples of bravery and honesty and reacing for a dream. Oh, you can find these things in adult books, too, but you have to look a lot harder...

http://jkrbooks.typepad.com/blog/2005/12/why_you_should_.html

I declare I learn more from the children's classics than anything else.

I agree! One of my favorite quotes (part of which is in my signature):

"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty--except, of course, books of information. The only imaginative works we ought to grow out of are those which it would have been better not to have read at all."

C.S. Lewis