Menu

Standardized Testing Question

Sahamamama

We live in a state (NJ) that doesn't require any reporting -- no notice of intent, no evaluations, no portfolios, no attendance, no testing. :001_smile:

We love it, but there is a part of me that wonders IF we should test (for our own feedback/information) and HOW we should test. I'm primarily interested in having some "objective measurement" (if there is such a thing) in regard to my oldest daughter. She's 6.5 years old, in first grade, but doing higher-level work in most areas.

How would I test her? Why would I want to? Any thoughts about testing would be appreciated. TIA.

I personally, at that age, especially if your daughter is typically working on or above grade level, would not sweat it. In the upper grades, however, I would wish some sort of more formal outside evaluation as a feedback and for my own security regarding how does my child compare to other children.

Since my children are officially enrolled in the school system, they take end of year exams and I get that type of official feedback this way, this is not relevant to my situation, but if I were in your situation, that is probably what I would do, with a grade level or advanced child. Somewhere about the end of elementary I would want to start getting regular, official feedback, for whatever it is worth - but maybe not right away at this age, maybe it is not worth sweating it if you do not have to and if it is tangible that she is doing fine.

I personally, at that age, especially if your daughter is typically working on or above grade level, would not sweat it. In the upper grades, however, I would wish some sort of more formal outside evaluation as a feedback and for my own security regarding how does my child compare to other children.

Since my children are officially enrolled in the school system, they take end of year exams and I get that type of official feedback this way, this is not relevant to my situation, but if I were in your situation, that is probably what I would do, with a grade level or advanced child. Somewhere about the end of elementary I would want to start getting regular, official feedback, for whatever it is worth - but maybe not right away at this age, maybe it is not worth sweating it if you do not have to and if it is tangible that she is doing fine.

Thanks, EM. I suppose we could wait until 4th/5th before testing, and officially we would not even have to do it then (unless we move to another state). There is plenty of evidence that all the girls are learning. :thumbup:

I think there is a part of me, though, that detects giftedness in them... (and worries about it). It's in different areas for each child. I feel unprepared for their brightness at times. And then I think, unless we get a clearer picture of what's really happening here, finding out by 4th or 5th grade might be too late. I will have missed the boat, I think.

Truth be told, we spend so little time "doing school" at this point, but the girls grasp everything so quickly. And the twins (4.5 years old), as young as they are, are insatiable for learning. I wonder if my own set of expectations for their "grade level" holds us back? It's a bit disconcerting, actually, when they start spontaneously mentally multiplying and dividing large numbers in the van.

Hey, wait! I didn't TEACH you that, yet. :001_huh: Who am I kidding? If the traffic is bad enough, I can't even keep up with the math in the back. LOL.

If you suspected giftedness, then would you test and/or have the child professionally evaluated? And how would you go about doing it?

I would give my kids a standardized test every year (starting around 1st or 2nd) whether I was required to or not. I have two reasons:

1. I want to try to find out if there are any deficiences in my kids' academic knowledge or performance. Of course I do not plan my whole curriculum around a test, but the test can give very helpful information regarding possible gaps in my program. I would like to find out about any gaps early when there is time to adjust and correct them.

2. I want my kids to have practice taking standardized tests all the way through school. SAT's are important as well as many other kinds of standardized tests regarding college and graduate school admission, particularly for homeschoolers who are homeschooling through high school. Often SAT's are one of the only objective pieces of information a college has to judge homeschooled high school students, and they put a large emphasis on this for admission. I want my kids to have the best chance of doing well, and I think regular testing and teaching of test taking strategies is prudent.

I like the California Acheivement Test (CAT/5) for the younger kids because it is easier and shorter. When they get a little bigger and are ready for a more difficult test, the Iowa and the Stanford seem most popular and highly regarded.

I think there is a part of me, though, that detects giftedness in them... (and worries about it). It's in different areas for each child. I feel unprepared for their brightness at times. And then I think, unless we get a clearer picture of what's really happening here, finding out by 4th or 5th grade might be too late. I will have missed the boat, I think.

If you suspected giftedness, then would you test and/or have the child professionally evaluated? And how would you go about doing it?

Post on the Accelerated Learner Board (or search there... there have been discussions about this). Hoagie's Gifted gives some good resources and ideas too. They have information about testing there too.

I've tested my son each year - partially so we can both get some testing experience - and partially so I can get some verification of what I've done. I used the CAT on level in first grade and out of level in 2nd grade. 3rd grade was the ITBS on level with the CogAT. I'm not sure if I'm testing him this year at home or not. The CogAT was useful. The CAT hasn't been very useful.

There are also talent searches that let your kids take out of level tests. We did the SCAT in 2nd grade through CTY and I am leaning towards doing the Explore this year through NUMATS.

Hope this gives you some starting points for clarifying your questions. I think that's really your first step: what do you want to learn by testing? It sounds like you may want to see how your daughter learns and what teaching approaches will work best with her. If that's the case, an individually administered test (like WISC or the like) by someone who will then meet with you and answer questions may be best.

Good luck!

I live in a state that does not require any testing either, assuming enrollment in an umbrella school. We began testing last year (end of 3rd grade). I also have a younger child (just 6) who is working above grade level in most subjects. I have thought about testing him, but think I will wait until 2nd or 3rd.

I test so that my children have experience with testing (most importantly) and learn not to worry or freak out, and also to find any glaring gaps in their knowledge.

I know exactly what you mean about the van math conversations. :lol:

Head over to the Accelerated Learner board. You'll find lots of people in the same boat, and you can see what we're doing about it. ;)

I have not tested yet. I just go at my son's pace. I don't hold him back based on grade level. If he knows something already, I'm not going to beat a dead horse just because a 2nd grader is supposed to be learning it now. :tongue_smilie:I move on to something he doesn't already know.

a local church here ( oh shoot, what's it called... you know , offically give a test) Anyway. lost of reasons.

1. I get a snap shot of where they are

2. They learn that no one bleeds at a test. I sell it as a chance to show what ya know. So the culture of testing is just a normal deal.

3. ( okay, true confessions..) Y'all!! they are there for three days.. THREE DAYS on my own. okay, you can slam me for that,, but I dont' care. I LOVE them being doing something productive with out me.

~christine in al

We don't start testing until 6th or 7th grade. And we ONLY do it to teach test taking skills for the SAT, etc. I KNOW what my kids know. I know whether they get all their math problems right or whether they're struggling with multiplying 6s. I know how well they comprehend what they read or whether they know much about plants. I don't need a test for that and I really don't care to put the pressure on myself or the children to meet some sort of arbitrary school standard. Test taking is a SKILL to learn in school if you plan on going to college. We treat it as such. In Jr. High they take tests to teach that skill and we'll evaluate after each one what they felt like they did well and what they did poorly, working on those skills during the year in small ways.

Post on the Accelerated Learner Board (or search there... there have been discussions about this). Hoagie's Gifted gives some good resources and ideas too. They have information about testing there too.

I've tested my son each year - partially so we can both get some testing experience - and partially so I can get some verification of what I've done. I used the CAT on level in first grade and out of level in 2nd grade. 3rd grade was the ITBS on level with the CogAT. I'm not sure if I'm testing him this year at home or not. The CogAT was useful. The CAT hasn't been very useful.

There are also talent searches that let your kids take out of level tests. We did the SCAT in 2nd grade through CTY and I am leaning towards doing the Explore this year through NUMATS.

Hope this gives you some starting points for clarifying your questions. I think that's really your first step: what do you want to learn by testing? It sounds like you may want to see how your daughter learns and what teaching approaches will work best with her. If that's the case, an individually administered test (like WISC or the like) by someone who will then meet with you and answer questions may be best.

Good luck!

Thanks, Dana, this is great! As for what we want to learn by testing, I suppose we would like to know if our girls are truly gifted... or are we simply imagining things? ;)

You know, that puts it in perspective for me, at last. If I thought my child had any special needs in the other direction -- that is, learning disabilities -- I would consult with someone to know for certain. Why do any less if I suspect my children are gifted? In a way, this may be a case of special needs.

I would give my kids a standardized test every year (starting around 1st or 2nd) whether I was required to or not. I have two reasons:

1. I want to try to find out if there are any deficiences in my kids' academic knowledge or performance. Of course I do not plan my whole curriculum around a test, but the test can give very helpful information regarding possible gaps in my program. I would like to find out about any gaps early when there is time to adjust and correct them.

2. I want my kids to have practice taking standardized tests all the way through school. SAT's are important as well as many other kinds of standardized tests regarding college and graduate school admission, particularly for homeschoolers who are homeschooling through high school. Often SAT's are one of the only objective pieces of information a college has to judge homeschooled high school students, and they put a large emphasis on this for admission. I want my kids to have the best chance of doing well, and I think regular testing and teaching of test taking strategies is prudent.

I like the California Acheivement Test (CAT/5) for the younger kids because it is easier and shorter. When they get a little bigger and are ready for a more difficult test, the Iowa and the Stanford seem most popular and highly regarded.

:iagree:

I think its important to stick with one test and do it each year. That way you get a better picture of what's going on. We can choose testing for our eval and I specifically choose this option because we live in a culture of standardized testing and it about being prepared for it. Of course I know they are progressing each year but I want to see where gaps are and tweak my schedule the following year to allow for it. One thing to remember is if you are doing WTM approach science and social studies doesn't correlate and they may be lower one year but by a year or two they should catch up. I choose to do Standford bc it was one of the options for us and an independent local tester comes to your home and administers it (contact bju press for local testers) and its what the local private school does (which is where he started out and may eventually go back to).

I believe even if my state didn't require it per how we choose to report, I would still give a yearly standardized test. It isn't the key to our homeschool but a tool that allows me to assess progress based on averages.

We are choosing to use both the PALS literacy tests and the ITBS through 3rd grade.

Could have written it word-for-word. I live in NJ too. While we don't have any requirements, if challenged, we do have to prove an equivalent education. How easy is it to whip out standardized test scores showing your childrens' proficiency if ever in a pinch? Yeah. That's the number one reason why I test.

Also, I was surprised at the amount of decent information I gleaned from observing my dd take her first CAT 5. I took over a 1/2 page of notes, wihch helped me plan for second grade.

Good luck deciding. It's a very individual thing.

Could have written it word-for-word. I live in NJ too. While we don't have any requirements, if challenged, we do have to prove an equivalent education. How easy is it to whip out standardized test scores showing your childrens' proficiency if ever in a pinch? Yeah. That's the number one reason why I test.

Also, I was surprised at the amount of decent information I gleaned from observing my dd take her first CAT 5. I took over a 1/2 page of notes, wihch helped me plan for second grade.

Good luck deciding. It's a very individual thing.

Thank you, Nono, I really was not aware of this caveat -- that we New Jerseyans have to prove an equivalent education -- and how nicely a standardized test score would prove the point! :D

A few more questions, so I get it right:

• My daughter (6.5 yo) is now in first grade (about 13 weeks into it). If I use the CAT, what level would you recommend? Do we take the test in the spring or in the fall? Our 1st grade school year ends in May 2012, and we'll start 2nd grade in July 2012.

• Also, this child has what I suspect are areas of giftedness, especially in her verbal/language skills. Should I administer an above-grade-level test to see how "far up" she can go? For example, she reads books like Misty of Chincoteague, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, and so on (and a ton of non-fiction). I really wonder about her sometimes. :001_huh:

I must say, for all the time I've been on these boards (several years now), I haven't seen much posted about testing. I'd love to hear the whole "scoop" on the hows and whens and whys of it. :bigear:

One reason why I chose not to test above grade level last year was that the test format changes as far as how the sections are divided, how long they are, and how the student responds (as far as responding in the book vs a separate answer sheet). My DD is above grade level in skills by quite a bit, but she's not necessarily above grade level in maturity. so I've chosen to not test her out of level.

Having said that, she has been tested independently (K-BIT and some other tests through the schools at age 4), so I know she's gifted based on those assessments. It's more a matter of picking the right materials for her now.

One reason why I chose not to test above grade level last year was that the test format changes as far as how the sections are divided, how long they are, and how the student responds (as far as responding in the book vs a separate answer sheet). My DD is above grade level in skills by quite a bit, but she's not necessarily above grade level in maturity. so I've chosen to not test her out of level.

Having said that, she has been tested independently (K-BIT and some other tests through the schools at age 4), so I know she's gifted based on those assessments. It's more a matter of picking the right materials for her now.

Thanks, Dmmetler, this is a good point to keep in mind, especially since I haven't seen any of these tests yet.

How were you able to locate independent testing through the schools? I would love to have my daughter tested in some way, but I'd rather not pay hundreds to take her to a private psychologist. Any suggestions? :bigear:

I wouldn't use a standardized test at that age.

Thanks, Dana, this is great! As for what we want to learn by testing, I suppose we would like to know if our girls are truly gifted... or are we simply imagining things? ;)

You know, that puts it in perspective for me, at last. If I thought my child had any special needs in the other direction -- that is, learning disabilities -- I would consult with someone to know for certain. Why do any less if I suspect my children are gifted? In a way, this may be a case of special needs.

But I don't think a standardized test is the way to go about finding out if your child has special needs- gifted or otherwise. I mean just becuase they score really well or really poorly on the test, doesn't really tell you much (does it? I mean my boys score high, but that doesn't mean they are gifted, that isn't what standardized testing is for).

Have you asked on the accelarated board? I guess what I am trying to say is- If I wanted to test for giftedness, I wouldn't use a standardized test, grade level or otherwise. That isn't what they are for.