Menu

How do I know if she's ready for Algebra?

Dd is accelerated in math. This past year and this coming, she will be one level up in ps math (about 1/5 of the class is doing a year ahead). So her curriculum will basically be pre-Algeb this year.

She'll be home in 7th. I'm not sure I will know if she's truly ready for Alg then.

Ideally, I want her to go deep into practical, challenging problem solving using arithmetic before tackling Alg.

What should I look for?

Lial's Pre-Algebra is not a typical Pre-Algebra text. It starts right out with negative numbers and incorporates a review of arithmetic while teaching algebraic applications.

In other words this is a great 'bridge' course for students who are fine with basic arithmetic but are not quite ready for Algebra -- this tends to be the younger 'advanced' students.

This text covers the last few chapters of BCM and about the first 4 chapters of Algebra 1 (moving slower than in the Algebra 1 text). LOTS of problem solving practice.

I personally prefer BCM for your 'standard' Pre-Algebra course-- but Lial's Pre-Algebra seems to be more of what you are looking for. I consider it an 'Honors Pre-Algebra text'.

The 3rd edition is from the same set as the 8th edition of Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1) -- purple with bridge on cover.

ISBN student 0321266625

ISBN Instructor (optional but if you are teaching it to your student is better than having to share!) 0321266870

I don't know how accurate this is, but I thought it was hilarious and have to share....

I emailed the author of the LoF books to ask the same question. He came back with, "kids shouldn't do algebra until they start growing armpit hair."

:lol:

The thought here is that they won't understand it at the deeper level until they are at that stage of development....

I emailed the author of the LoF books to ask the same question. He came back with, "kids shouldn't do algebra until they start growing armpit hair."

It think that's funny... but not exactly accurate. My 9 yr old has armpit hair with no corresponding algebra ability. My younger brother didn't have a single armpit hair until he was 15, but was well into trigonometry by then.

It's kind of like Steiner (Waldorf founder) who said kids shouldn't learn to read until they'd begun losing teeth. My hairy daughter learned to read at 4 but hung onto her teeth until she was 8. Thank goodness physical (and dental) maturity aren't related to academic readiness or she'd have to learn both how to read and how to do algebra at the same time!

As for your question, google "algebra readiness test". You'll find a lot of examples. See how your daughter does. Also, take a look at "Balance Benders" from Critical Thinking Press. I think it has a nice way of getting kids thinking in an algebraic way. For next year, AOPS just came out with their pre-algebra book, which sounds perfect for your daughter... lots of problem-solving, age appropriate, good for kids who enjoy math. She'd be challenged and ready to ace algebra in 8th grade.

It think that's funny... but not exactly accurate. My 9 yr old has armpit hair with no corresponding algebra ability. My younger brother didn't have a single armpit hair until he was 15, but was well into trigonometry by then.

It's kind of like Steiner (Waldorf founder) who said kids shouldn't learn to read until they'd begun losing teeth. My hairy daughter learned to read at 4 but hung onto her teeth until she was 8. Thank goodness physical (and dental) maturity aren't related to academic readiness or she'd have to learn both how to read and how to do algebra at the same time!

This whole thing made me laugh!!! I too have hairy children...my 14 year old still hasn't lost all his baby teeth but shaves!!!

snort

My understanding is that age/physical-related maturity for algebra readiness is a myth, that preparation is the key. I don't think 7th grade is crazy-early for algebra for a math-accelerated kid. At this point, my older three are heading toward algebra no later than 7th.

I'd concentrate on doing a thorough prealgebra so that you'll be confident your student is well prepared to start algebra. I also understand that you won't find a more deep, challenging, problem-solving prealgebra than AoPS. (I'm still waiting for my book - media mail :tongue_smilie:).

Algebra is a very abstract (non-concrete) subject, and typically, children don't start developing the abstract thinking portions of the brain *on average* until age 12-14. (So, sometimes the this correlates with physical maturity, but sometimes not.) Obviously some students will develop those abstract thinking portions of the brain earlier, and some later, so you can have a 6th grader able to handle Algebra, or a student who is 11th grade who still doesn't connect with Algebra.

Algebra 1 typically covers:

* Absolute value

* Sets and their relationships

* Properties of polynomial forms

* Equations

* Signed numbers

* Fundamental operations

* Equations of the first degree

* Ratio, proportion, variation

* Relations and functions

* Special products and factoring

* Fractions and fractional equations

* Square roots

* Radicals

* Quadratic equations

* Elements of probability

So, having a solid understanding of the following concepts before going into Algebra would be a very helpful foundation:

- ability to solve multi-step problems

- factoring

- exponents

- positive and negative numbers

- how to solve for X

I see several options open to you:

1. Go ahead and start Algebra; if you find it is not "smooth sailing", then you could:

1.) switch to an Algebra program from a different point-of-view (if she isn't connecting with the explanations)

b.) slow down what program you are using and take 1.5 to 2 years to do it

c.) stop Algebra and go to a pre-Algebra program and/or Algebra prep materials

2. Go through a different pre-Algebra program than what she has completed to practice and see the math concepts from a different perspective to ensure a solid foundation for going into Algebra.

3. Start the year with some Algebra prep materials (Keys to Algebra series, for example), and then begin the Algebra in a few months or at the start of the second semester.

BEST of luck in finding the best course of action for DD and Algebra! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you all so much!

I will wait and see what this year brings. She's already been introduced to and has pretty much mastered the basics of this list from Lori's post:

- ability to solve multi-step problems

- factoring

- exponents

- positive and negative numbers

- how to solve for X

as well as ratios, proportions, square roots, fractions/equations with fractions (and finding x in a fractional equation), as well as just the basics of arithmetic and geometry (formulas, definitions, graphing on a plane--can't think of the name...LOL). However, I really want her to be able to apply it all--to have better number sense, maybe?

I will definitely ask her teacher next year to help me choose her next steps. Thanks so very much!!