Menu

Poll: How do you appraoch self education?

ELaurie

Poll: How do you approach self education?  

1. 1. Poll: How do you approach self education?

• Self education? You've got to be kidding! I'm just trying to keep my head above water!
    • I am learning along with my dc.
    • I try to stay a chapter ahead of my dc.
    • I am reading next year's material.
    • I am reading material my dc will cover in the next stage of the Trivium.
    • I am following the WTM recs, for myself.
    • I am using TWEM, or another resource as a guide for self education.
    • I am following an eclectic approach to self education.

I've been giving some thought to this topic, and attempting to chart a more systematic course for self education. I've been debating about following the rhetoric stage literature and history recs in WTM that correlate with what my dc will be reading in SOTW next year for history, or using TWEM as a guide. I'm curious to know how others here are approaching this :001_smile:

Oops! Sorry about the typo in the subject line :o

If I could have chosen more than one answer, I would have also said I am learning alongside my children. But I chose to answer that I'm eclectic in self-education. I wanted to use TWTM as a guide but was too intimidated to begin that way. :lol:

So far, I've been working through 2 programs:

BJU Algebra 1

Our Mother Tongue: A Guide to English Grammar by Nancy Wilson

I'm also challenging myself to read more books, not necessarily great literature though. I had planned on returning to college this summer but I don't like the offered schedule. I will wait until fall though I'll be honest and say that by the time fall arrives I might have changed my mind. :)

ELaurie,

I picked TWEM, but I am also using some of the WTM Rhetoric materials.

Art of Argument is one that I am reading through right now. I will probably use Oxford Guide to Writing as well.

I am also beginning my study of Algebra I with Dolciani. That should be lots of fun for my summer. :001_smile: I've been self-studying Latin on and off for almost four years.

I have various resources for my history studies. I usually read ahead from one or more of these texts in order to prepare myself to teach my dd. Sometimes, I will read the books she will be reading. I just read Albert Marrin's Napoleon, and The War of 1812.

ETA: ELaurie, I see that your dc are young. I can't encourage you enough to get a jumpstart on your self-education while your dc are young. My girls are older now, and my one regret is that I didn't start self-educating sooner. I could kick myself.

Not sure if my problem is lack of time or lack of discipline, but I can't seem to get going on a focused study right now. I've had Henle Latin for a year but haven't even started it. I've got SWB's Ancient History book for adults too--I think I'm on chapter 3.

What does work for me right now is watching Teaching Company DVDs. Our library has some and we have started investing in some. I watched the library's copy of The Vikings before covering that with dd last August. I got History of the U.S. for Christmas and am up to the Revolution--will be starting year 3 history in a few weeks. I'm still finishing Luther: Gospel, Law, and Reformation which I started when we hit the Reformation a few months ago. I find that I pick up a lot of useful background information that I can share with dd as we do our history studies.

I'm trying to learn along with my children, so that's what I picked. I've been TRYING to get myself to learn Spanish, but just keep stopping and starting, so really not getting anywhere! :( My dd is doing Spanish, so I am going to TRY to get going in it more next year!*

Also, we just found and started R&S English. My EnglishGrammar learning being so spotty growing up, I knew some things, but not why. I've learned a LOT this year, and am thrilled about that!

I'm actually following several of these, even though I said "learning along with my children", since that's the most common path for me right now. I tend to stay ahead of them on things; plan for the entire next year, so read some of that stuff as I'm planning; look ahead to the next stage, so read some of that stuff, too. And I have some other learning interests that are mine alone which I follow, particularly over the course of the summer. I own WEM and have read it, but am not working through it at this time.

I have young children and I could read the classics but I want to enjoy my self-education time and not feel like I have to "study" so I learn about what I want when I want. I'm about to read Beatrix Potter's biography by Linda Lear, then I'll probably read about John Audubon.

I'm still slowly learning french, it takes time and dedication and I have so much else going on. I'm still working on making our home a well-oiled machine and that in itself takes time, working on better habits (ahem as I type this at the WTM boards :D) and training my children. Once the training has lessened, I'll have more brain cells to focus on deeper levels of self-education.

Til now, I've studied ahead six weeks at a time, as I plan out lessons. I may not *master* the material, but since I read most of the lessons with my kids, it's easily recalled.

I did start Jacob's Algebra, and will try to finish before summer is over. Just looking at the chapter reviews seems to be the most efficient way. That way, I only look back at the lessons that stump me. That seems to bring back a flood of, "oh, yeah!" experiences.

But, in literature, I try to pre-read over the summer. I make outlines and answer the WEM questions for my "study guide". (your kids are probably too small for that!) The only book I didn't pre-read for my 7th grader this year was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (can we say BORING!!!!). Amazingly, he didn't finish that one, either. (bad mom!) I find I'm just too tired to read their stuff during the school year.

Rhonda

Right now we are flying on a wing and prayer. We are doing a lot of what ever I can fit in......It has been a very difficult two years for our family.

I am hoping next year will be better.....at least that is the goal and I am trying very hard for that.

We tried Abeka and it didn't work for me. I have a mish mash but it is good curriculum.

I could have checked several. I am reading though the WEM autobiographies right now (I finished all the novels). I am also learning right along with my kids. I also am reading more advanced materials than they are about the topics for the next time around.

I voted for next year's material, but since we school year round our year is about to start! I'm finishing up algebra 1, and I recently started Henle Latin (I'm on unit 2). I'm rereading The Illiad as well. These are all things my oldest will be studying this year. I also make time to read the books that interest me - right now I'm on an early American history kick. I get the "school" stuff out of the way in the morning while the kids are doing their lessons, and I read my own books whenever I get a chance.

This question was very difficult to answer because I do a little bit of each option. I read ahead each week so that I'm ready to teach, but I'm also reading the Omnibus I books & working through Wheelock's Latin to get ready for next year. In addition, I'm going through our Algebra I book in preparation for 8th grade. I would like to start working through the high school Logic and Literature books I have selected, but there's not enough time in the day. Hopefully, I'll get to them soon.

For great books, I have several resources. My favorites are Joy of Reading by Van Doren and the first edition of Lifetime Reading Plan by Fadiman. I also have secondary literature on the big authors like Plato, Aristotle, Dante, and Chaucer.

We're just completing our fourth year of classical homeschooling. Each year I've read a detailed history of the period my son is studying, as well as biographies and anything other history that catches my interest. I always have a history book going.

For Latin I am using Henle. I am just starting Spanish, and will be using Galore Park So You.... I recently read "How to Learn Any Language", and I realize that I'll have to use several resources for modern languages to become truly fluent.

This isn't really necessary to be a homeschool teacher, but I do enjoy it.

I could not pick three options, but I'm using TWEM, locating and reading through material for the next stage, and learning alongside my youngest two dc. Although this is my second time through logic stage, my eldest ds and my dd are quite different in how they view history, science, and literature to an extent. and with dd entering 9th grade in 3.5 years, I don't have much time to read through a slew of titles and read what I want to read. So, for each title I read for personal enjoyment and education, I read two that we'll delve into during high school.

I'm slowly working through Dolciani's Algebra II text so we can use my answers as a solutions manual until I can get my hands on one for our OP edition of the student text. I plan to do the same with Jacob's Geometry, as my dd needs to "see" how we came to a specific solution. I'm finding I detest the biological sciences, but am pinching my nose as I'll need to know this stuff as my DD plans to major in some area of biology and I can see or bookshelves turning from all physics to all biology & chemistry books over the next few years. And, I began a reading list that I know my dd would love to delve into during high school that does not include as much war & bloodshed as Taz's reading lists.

I'm always working through a vocabulary, grammar, or writing program alongside or a head of my middle and youngest dc. I hate writing, grammar, and vocabulary study, so, I cannot honestly state I do so to further my own education. I very much prefer to bury my nose in a science selection or reread one of our many translations of various ancient Greek or Roman literature.

Oh, I plan to keep up with my common place book this year, as this past year was full of dealing with senior year stuff, and I did not have much time for my self-education outside of reading and a few margin notes.

I'm slowly working through Dolciani's Algebra II text so we can use my answers as a solutions manual until I can get my hands on one for our OP edition of the student text. I plan to do the same with Jacob's Geometry, as my dd needs to "see" how we came to a specific solution. I'm finding I detest the biological sciences, but am pinching my nose as I'll need to know this stuff as my DD plans to major in some area of biology and I can see or bookshelves turning from all physics to all biology & chemistry books over the next few years. And, I began a reading list that I know my dd would love to delve into during high school that does not include as much war & bloodshed as Taz's reading lists.

I'm always working through a vocabulary, grammar, or writing program alongside or a head of my middle and youngest dc. I hate writing, grammar, and vocabulary study, so, I cannot honestly state I do so to further my own education. I very much prefer to bury my nose in a science selection or reread one of our many translations of various ancient Greek or Roman literature.

Oh, I plan to keep up with my common place book this year, as this past year was full of dealing with senior year stuff, and I did not have much time for my self-education outside of reading and a few margin notes.

Bravo, Carmen! Studying subjects you hate in order to benefit your dc - now *that's* dedication! :001_smile:

I'm not that intentional about it. I figure out what I need to know to help them understand their work.

In a larger sense of learning, though, I learn all the time, just whatever comes my way that I need to read about, think about, talk about, or write about...you know, relationships, politics, religion, parenting, etc.

I've been giving some thought to this topic, and attempting to chart a more systematic course for self education. I've been debating about following the rhetoric stage literature and history recs in WTM that correlate with what my dc will be reading in SOTW next year for history, or using TWEM as a guide. I'm curious to know how others here are approaching this :001_smile:

Oops! Sorry about the typo in the subject line :o

I voted for using the WTM recs, but I'd have chosen more than that if possible. I've been learning with my kids, and this past year have graduated to trying to keep a chapter ahead of ds10 (esp. in R&S grammar and math, and Latin - LC1) LOL. My next goal is to try to get further ahead of him than one chapter in these books, and to try and read the history and science chapters a week ahead of time before he gets to it, and the literature books. If I get on a really good roll, I'll try to get ahead by several weeks. I'd love to be at least a year ahead in most areas, but we shall see.

I did manage to work through all the Mind Benders A series books a couple of months ago, so that's one area I'm a year ahead in, whooohoooo! Major accomplishment for me.

I tried to do TWEM awhile ago, but I'm just still not ready for it. I decided I have to work through the logic stage stuff first, to get a really good foundation and gain more confidence.

Ds is starting grade 5 soon, and because of my lack of skills, I feel a little more pressure now to get ahead so I am not stumbling and fumbling when he gets to a new concept. He gets frustrated when we hit something in, say, math or grammar, that I don't understand and I have to stop my tutoring session and figure it out so I can teach it to him. Waste of time for us, and it delays him. So I'd rather study ahead of time. Of course, he could learn some patience through my stumbling, but I'd rather not waste our tutoring time - he can learn patience in other areas of life....but I digress.

But my head is spinning sometimes. :lol:

But I love doing this. :)

I recently read "How to Learn Any Language", and I realize that I'll have to use several resources for modern languages to become truly fluent.

OK, the name of this book caught my eye, but I can't find it in my library's system. Will you tell me more about it?

I've only recently come to understand that languages can be learned systematically (through grammar, is what I've gathered so far). I bought Practical Spanish, the grammar book recommended in WTM rhetoric stage foreign language section, and am currently thinking about how to use it along with Learnables, maybe.

EDIT: I found my own answers. Went and read about this book on amazon.com. Then searched out some other books on foreign language learning at my library website.