Menu

Why not to swim in warm lakes, streams. . .

The ride in a car to the lake is far more dangerous than the possibility of an infection like this. It is very rare - whereas car accidents happen all the time - but we still get in the car every day.....

Exactly.

And I'd rather have kids exhausted from a day of swimming than obese kids plugged into a video game system everyday.

Yes, the amoeba is sad. But sometimes, people die. There's stuff on the planet that kills us. Surprise for some, I guess.

Knowledge is power, I suppose. But if one avoided everything that was potentially fatal, you couldn't have much of a life. Bodies of water can be fatal in several ways, amoebic meningoencephalitis being one of the rarer ways, I'm sure.

In ten years:

32 deaths by amoeba vs 36,000 deaths by drowning

Though this is the first case of an amoeba death in Virginia since 1969, more than 100 people have died from amoebas in the U.S. since 1962.
So, 100 ppl out of 300 million in 49 years? I can't do the math :D but I'm safely guessing that's like .0000000000000000001 % of the population, right? If we didn't swim in warm, inland lakes, there wouldn't be nearly as much swimming in MI in the summer! You have a higher chance of dying of anything else!

Rereading this, I'm kind of surprised that the part about someone using their own TAP water in a neti pot (which seem to be very popular lately) and contracting this doesn't cause a tiny bit more of a reaction, at the very least wanting to know how to test one's own water for this if one is into cleansing their nostrils that way. *shudder* It's always someone else, though, right?

I have been swimming in a local lake for all 35 years of my life, my children have all been in this lake every summer, we are actually heading out to go swimming in it right now.

There is no way I would allow myself to become afraid to swim in a lake on account of an amoeba that kills on average 3 people a year. You are more likely to choke to death at the dinner table!

ETA: I will continue to chose to swim in a lake over a pool any day! Now that is gross imo, why would you want to swim in chemicals?

Edited by 4kiddies

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/aug/16/tdmain01-amoeba-caused-boys-fatal-infection-ar-1240873/

Read to the bottom. A dad is trying to get the word out.

I hope you'll share this with everyone you know.

Alley

I posted about this too! This child was the first of 3 people to die from this infection so far this summer. Sorry--I didn't see your post until after I made mine.