Menu

Workbook Recommendations for Kindergarten

TheAutumnOak

I need workbook recommendations for my 5 year old...I don't want to start him on 1st grade work yet, but need something for him to do while I am working with his older brothers...I was going to put him with my first grader, but I want other options...

Any ideas?...Math and penmanship ideas would be great...

Zaner Bloser handwriting is really good. We just started using Memoria Press' First Reading Lessons. It uses ZB writing, but also has pictures to color, drawing spaces and reading. A lot of it can be done independently (except the writing...I have to watch DS like a hawk!). It takes longer than other handwriting and phonics books, but that actually might be a plus for you! I highly recommend using Miquon as well. It is very independent. I usually just let DS5 go for it and ask questions if he has any. Or I give a brief description of what he needs to know or do. Plus, he usually spends about 20-30 minutes playing with the C-rods before he does his Miquon. He has learned just as much during those play times than actually using the program IMHO. He will randomly say, "Look Mom, 3 and 5 makes 8" while he is playing. We do lots of math and phonics manipulatives with our kids as well. Those keep them occupied, but really teach them as well!

For independent work at that age, BrainQuest/Target/dollar store workbooks. "Real" workbooks will require help, IME. Perhaps HWoT Pre-K, too?

My son (1st grade this coming fall) did really well this summer with the "Brainquest" 1st grade book as well as the "Big First Grade" book (got both on amazon).

They're segmented to cover a variety of topics (various language subjects, math, etc.), so each day I had him work on a different topic.

He found them to be easy and fun to do - and I think it kept him sharp over the summer and hopefully accustomed to doing schoolwork so the fall won't be as much of a jolt.

I'd be willing to bet they have them for Kindergarten too.

eta: I see yours is actually going into Grade 1...he should have no problem with the 1st grade workbooks I mentioned. Also, the Zaner Bloser handwriting workbook my son is working in right now (K) is really easy and I almost regret buying it...but we're going through it because he tends to be careless and can use the practice. The pictures are entertaining and he seems not to mind the work.

Edited by bbkaren

If you use Christian material, you might look at the A-G workbooks from Rod and Staff. They are really cheap, use many types of skills, and are quite enjoyed by my children.

Emily (who needs to get her rear in gear to order these for her 4-year-old)

I was going to suggest those, too.

If you use Christian Material and you don't want to start him with first grade I too recommend the Rod and Staff Preschool series ( its a K curriculum). If you want him to start in first Christian Light is a workbook curriculum.

If not

Kumon workbooks are great, Handwriting without Tears for handwriting is good too. Any of the workbooks at Walmart, Target, Staples etc will do too.