Menu

ireland

i don't post much or much of any value! :001_smile: but i lurk a lot and i appreciate the diversity and wisdom i find here.

i want some input and i have no doubt i can get some here!

what are your thoughts on a group of 4 or 5 teens (17yo to 19yo) traveling to ireland together? can minors do this? where can they stay? is this safe in any way? did you ever do anything like this? would you let your children? what if a 20-something young adult went along - would that change things?

tell all, please! and thank you.

It depends on the kids involved. By that age, my younger sister had been on exchange to Germany for six months, travelled unaccompanied to see relatives in Warsaw, then unaccompanied across Europe to see relatives in France. While she was there, she was sent down to the corner shop, with two words of French in her vocabulary. Then flown unaccompanied back to Australia. To tell her she couldn't go to Ireland would have been silly.

I wouldn't be comfortable sending an underage teen with party going olders. A chaperone isn't much use if he or she is inexperienced with travel or the teens won't mind him/her.

Rosie

you can find an extensive list of bed and breakfasts on the Irish tourism website.

It is easy to travel by train/bus through Ireland. It is also easy to travel because they speak English. Another way to go is with a tour. Not as adventurous, but it might provide you more comfort.

We'd always see Australian kids travels in twos to fours in Ireland in the 17 to 25 age groups. So I believe Rosie.

I agree that it depends on who the kids and chaperone are as people. It would be foolhardy to let some go, and foolish not to let others. I did my Junior year in college in England and traveled extensively throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland - sometimes by myself, sometimes with a couple others, sometimes in a group. The people were lovely. It's really much more common in Europe than it is in the US, especially with kids taking gap years and mucking about on their own.

I wouldn't have let myself go, but I hadn't travelled by myself even within Australia at all until after I moved out of home and could afford to pay for it! My sister got lucky. :)

They all speak English in Ireland, so communication with the natives shouldn't be too difficult. My one and only trip overseas was age 28, with a one year old as company. It was possible to see the sights of Poland with 20 words of Polish. Ireland should be a breeze!

Rosie

Ds studied abroad with people in their early twenties. They traveled most every weekend of the semester and for Spring Break, etc. He had some v-e-r-y interesting stories. There is NO WAY I would allow a group of teens to travel in Europe alone. Not smart. He would say the same.

No. Even with one 20-some year old alone, I would not recommend it. A parent- fine. But young people only- no.

I think it depends on the children.

Personally, I left home to finish school in another country at 15. By 17, I was working and supporting myself financially. Depending on the child and the country they travel to, I think it would be a good experience that will teach them many new skills.

Depending on the country, the dangers the children may encounter are the same, or even less, than your place of residence. Mind you, my kids are young, but speaking from experience, if the child is independent enough, has common sense and knows how to keep themselves safe, I would have no problems with this.

I'd allow them to go, with the possibility to pay for unexpected expenses and with telephone numbers for the embassy, local hospitals, etc. If you belong to a church, you could also find a sister church in Ireland and see if there are members that would be happy to help your children if needed, and maybe show them around.

I experienced Ireland as a safe place.

My teens are taking a college course in Ireland this year. I am going with them, but they are doing their thing and my DIL is meeting us there and she and I will be doing our own thing. I would not be happy if they went without me. Even though they are mature and responsible.

thanks for all the various thoughts so far. at least one of them will be 17 (almost 18). does anyone know if this will be a problem? the others will be 18 and up.

this trip is in the early planning stages. and this information will help us begin to weigh our options!

:001_smile:

thanks for all the various thoughts so far. at least one of them will be 17 (almost 18). does anyone know if this will be a problem? the others will be 18 and up.

this trip is in the early planning stages. and this information will help us begin to weigh our options!

:001_smile:

Some countries require special permission to allow minors to enter the country without parents.

Laura