Menu

Quick!!!! Doing my loi for va!!!!

Got my documentation in order:

Diploma (I can't find my high school, so I used my college)

Marriage certificate to show my name change (I'm VERY type A)

Completed LOI

REGARDING THE CURRICULUM: How do I document this? Simply create a Word doc listing the subject and choice of curriculum?

ETA: Princess Duckie Girl is a rising second grader

For the Curr. - I just write the subject and the primary text I will be using, like SOTW for history. I got a letter back from the school system that said I had turned in all the required things to homeschool, so it must be acceptable to do it that way.

THANKS!!!! What I did was adequate then.

I just hit SEND!

:party:

This is how I do ours:

(First and Last Name of Child) - Grade 7

English - Spelling Power / Winston Grammar / Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Math - Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra

History - Beautiful Feet's Geography through Literature

Science - Rainbow Science Year 1 (Chemistry & Physics)

Art - Dubosque's Drawing Books

Music - Piano Lessons

PE - Tae Kwon Do Lessons

I do this for each of my kids and send it in along with my letter of intent and standardized test scores (you won't have to send those in until next year, if this is your 1st year homeschooling).

It's just a list of what I'm using for each subject. They've never said anything about the list, one way or the other, so I assume it works for them! :)

This is how I do ours:

(First and Last Name of Child) - Grade 7

English - Spelling Power / Winston Grammar / Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Math - Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra

History - Beautiful Feet's Geography through Literature

Science - Rainbow Science Year 1 (Chemistry & Physics)

Art - Dubosque's Drawing Books

Music - Piano Lessons

PE - Tae Kwon Do Lessons

I do this for each of my kids and send it in along with my letter of intent and standardized test scores (you won't have to send those in until next year, if this is your 1st year homeschooling).

It's just a list of what I'm using for each subject. They've never said anything about the list, one way or the other, so I assume it works for them! :)

I think what I did was adequate then:

Mathematics: Singapore Math, various Kumon supporting materials, Miquon manipulatives

Reading: Phonics Pathways/Reading Pathways

English Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind

History: The Well Trained Mind Story of the World

Art: Evan-Moore Teach Art to Children

Science: REAL Science for Kids

Ooops, I didn't include PE. She will be on swim team. Do I need to amend it?

I think what I did was adequate then:

Mathematics: Singapore Math, various Kumon supporting materials, Miquon manipulatives

Reading: Phonics Pathways/Reading Pathways

English Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind

History: The Well Trained Mind Story of the World

Art: Evan-Moore Teach Art to Children

Science: REAL Science for Kids

Ooops, I didn't include PE. She will be on swim team. Do I need to amend it?

I doubt it. Is PE required in school anymore?? I have no idea! I put it in there because we used to homeschool in Maryland before we moved to Virginia 6 years ago and Maryland's law was "all subjects taught in the public schools" so I'm used to listing *everything*.

I think you're fine! ;)

You all are a LOT more detailed than I am. I never give them specific curriculum. I also only report for core subjects (Language Arts, Math, History, and Science). Here's what I put for LA:

English/Language Arts:

This course will provide the student with continuing reading, writing, spelling, storytelling, and reading comprehension skills. The writing instruction will include copy work, narration, and dictation in order to further lay the foundations for writing as well as broaden exposure to classic children’s literature. Additional instruction will be given in basic grammar and syntax.

And this is pretty much what I turned in last year too.

No!!! Tell them as little as possible! It's why I don't give specific curricula brands/programs to them. The law only says to provide a "description" of the curriculum.

See HEAV's detailed explanation:

Third, you must include a description of curriculum for the option you have chosen. A description of curriculum can be a brief list of subjects you plan to teach for each child. Some include the titles of the textbooks they plan to use; however, the law does not require textbook titles. If you are not using a text for a subject, you may mention you will be using library books, a unit approach with multiple resources, a particular phonics program, etc. It is not necessary to include a detailed description of course content or a scope and sequence.

You sent in your marriage certificate? That's really interesting. Never even occurred to me! lol

I just send in a note saying I'm planning on homeschooling, want to use the testing option, and plan on doing (whatever subjects we are planning). I take a digital picture of my diploma (still in the frame). The third year we schooled, I got a little rebellious and told them it should be on file already. :D

You will be fine.

How exciting, that you are homeschooling again!!

You sent in your marriage certificate? That's really interesting. Never even occurred to me! lol

I just send in a note saying I'm planning on homeschooling, want to use the testing option, and plan on doing (whatever subjects we are planning). I take a digital picture of my diploma (still in the frame). The third year we schooled, I got a little rebellious and told them it should be on file already. :D

You will be fine.

Heeee.. I'm SOOOOOO type A, and I figured since it was the last day to submit the LOI i didn't want any surprises like, "your last name is different now... prove your existence"...

You will be fine.

I never thought of that either. The last name on my diploma does not match my current name. I suppose they see that a lot. This is my 3rd year hs'ing in VA and they have never questioned it.

Please note that VA law does NOT require you to provide the titles of instructional materials you intend to use. You're supposed to list the subjects you plan to teach; you could briefly describe the content ("ancient world history, using good literature and discussion," for example). But listing the instructional materials is not required and doesn't really tell the superintendent what you're going to DO. This is where it's important to read the law carefully and understand what "curriculum" means. Check it out here.

The rule of thumb is never to provide more information than the law requires. That would include not sending a photocopy of your marriage license.