Menu

xbox 360 or wii

for preteen/teens? I would love to get the WII but the boys are convinced they would like the 360 better. So if you are a gamer what do you think. They like the strategy games and plan to play some online games. Also can a 10year old tv be used for these newer games?

We have young boys (7&8), & they prefer the Wii. We have both & the Xbox gets MUCH less play. That said, the Wii controls are much simpler & it has all things MARIO :). For teenage boys, I do think the Xbox is probably what they'd like better.

Based on the ages of your boys and the type of games they like, I would would say that the Xbox would be the one for sure... I don't even know if you can play those strategy games online with the Wii anyway. Around here, the Wii gets used mostly by the little ones, mom, and sister. The boys all stick to the Xbox...

Dh and his buddies play Call of Duty type of games while deployed and everyone prefers the xbox even though the PS3 (as far as I am concerned) is pretty much the same deal as far as those games go + with the PS3, you don't have to pay extra for online gaming (not sure if this has changed...). With the Xbox, you have to pay extra for the online service, however you can still play multiplayer (usually up to 4 at a time) for most games.

As far as the tv goes, I am not sure. You are just going to have to make sure it has the correct hookups - I can't remember about the Xbox, but the PS3 needs an HDMI or equivalent, and the Wii we just have the Yellow, white, red plug ins... wow - I am definitely not a techie!

Xbox!!! I think they have a wider range of games for older kids than the wii has. If you get a Connect, you'll have that same activity level tied into some of the games.

Is your TV a wide screen? You won't get the quality picture unless you have a wide screen. And we couldn't read a lot of the smaller words on the screen when we had an older TV. We ended up getting HD tvs.

You might already know this so I'm not trying to lecture. Be careful about the online play. My DH and his friends play with some teens. Fortunately for these boys, this is an ok situation because my DH and friends don't cuss. But I know I would FREAK OUT if my DSs were playing online games with some "old" men. I just wonder if these mothers are totally clueless or if they just don't really think it's a safety issue? I don't know. But even my DH will turn off the sound if he plays online with random people because their language is outrageous and they are RUDE!!! I'm sure it will be fine if they are just playing with friends. :)

You might already know this so I'm not trying to lecture. Be careful about the online play. My DH and his friends play with some teens. Fortunately for these boys, this is an ok situation because my DH and friends don't cuss. But I know I would FREAK OUT if my DSs were playing online games with some "old" men. I just wonder if these mothers are totally clueless or if they just don't really think it's a safety issue? I don't know. But even my DH will turn off the sound if he plays online with random people because their language is outrageous and they are RUDE!!! I'm sure it will be fine if they are just playing with friends. :)

Yes! This is true... AND some of the worst mouths are the pre-teen/teen boys playing on there... Dh and friends don't even turn on the sound unless they are networked together rather than being online. The language really turns nasty when all of us wives get on there to try for fun... we are terrible, but it is quite a hilarious scene! :D

Hello-

I am probably going to sound pretty ignorant here but I would have to say that I definitely would steer clear of the xbox. I know that the xbox is what they like but my opinion of the xbox is such that it is HIGHLY addictive. My oldest son who is now 19 has had an xbox for almost a couple of years now. I was opposed, but he got a seasonal job and paid for it himself with my dh approval. My brother who is almost 30 also has one. My sons best friend also has an xbox. Anyways- I have never seen people (the people being the three guys I mentioned) so completely addicted to something- aside from drugs and such. I mean, my brother is almost 30, married, with 2 children, and has 2 jobs!!! and my sil has told me about times when he will get off from work at 1am and then start playing the xbox and not realize what time it is until he sees the sun come up! My oldest son has done the same thing. Playing for 6 hours straight one time. I am not a gamer- but I do enjoy the wii which we have for the family to enjoy. I have also heard of stories and then on the news too how people seem to react to the xbox. Its never the wii that I have heard or read about- just the xbox. I know that they love the xbox, but in my opinion, the wii is a much better choice. The wii is also awesome because it gets you off your bum and moving around. :001_smile: These things may be totally based on my own ignorant opinion but its the way I feel and I wanted to share that. Thanks for listening. :001_smile:

Yes! This is true... AND some of the worst mouths are the pre-teen/teen boys playing on there... Dh and friends don't even turn on the sound unless they are networked together rather than being online. The language really turns nasty when all of us wives get on there to try for fun... we are terrible, but it is quite a hilarious scene! :D

I agree- My 13 year old is only allowed to talk in private parties online- They don't let outsiders play- they just play with their friends.

I have also heard of stories and then on the news too how people seem to react to the xbox. Its never the wii that I have heard or read about- just the xbox. I know that they love the xbox, but in my opinion, the wii is a much better choice. The wii is also awesome because it gets you off your bum and moving around. :001_smile: These things may be totally based on my own ignorant opinion but its the way I feel and I wanted to share that. Thanks for listening. :001_smile:

I know people that could be classified as having an addiction to the Wii. It's more the games they are choosing than the devise itself.

The xbox has the Connect which gets you off your bum. My DH is "addicted" to Kung Foo Panda on the Connect. It's hillarious! :lol:

And really anything with a screen attached can be addictive as many at the WTM will testify too. ;)

We have both and they get equal play at my house. The ONE game that is mine (it's also the one game I am capable of playing) is Dance Central. SO MUCH FUN and you don't use a controller, you just move your body. It's as much fun to watch as to play so it's great for parties.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong. They'll love either system. We don't do any online gaming, so I don't have an opinion about that, but my son is the gamer and he uses and enjoys both systems.

I know people that could be classified as having an addiction to the Wii. It's more the games they are choosing than the devise itself.

The xbox has the Connect which gets you off your bum. My DH is "addicted" to Kung Foo Panda on the Connect. It's hillarious! :lol:

And really anything with a screen attached can be addictive as many at the WTM will testify too. ;)

Yes, as with anything screen-related (like these boards...), it can be addicting. We have time controls for the kids and Dh only plays *with* the kids unless he is deployed or something.

And, with the Xbox, as others have noted, you can get with the Kinect which gives you Wii-like games that are super fun to play. Our little guys love the Kinect, and the older kids love those dance games (they are drenched in sweat by the end)... The Wii has Wii fit, etc, but the Xbox Kinect has workout games, too. It is a win-win for us!