Menu

Birthday Dilemma

I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my DD's birthday tomorrow who will turn two. We ordered her present last Saturday and her brother's present (his birthday is next week) from Amazon using Super Saver shipping. I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime since my husband was a student and just assumed that even though it said 3 to 5 days or so that it would ship sooner. Anyways, my son's present is already here but my daughter's has not even shipped yet. I got her Lauri stacking pegs which I think she would really like. Should I --

1) Cancel the order and buy her something from the store tonight.

2) Wait for the order to come in and celebrate her birthday next week.

3) Run out and grab a dishtowel to make an apron for a gift (which she would love as she's my best helper) and keep the other gift and give it to her later.

I should add that with option number three I would have to make an apron and decorate her cake tonight, which means a late night and grumpy mom who's also in her first trimester and tired and loopy.

What says the hive?

I would do #2. We celebrated The Baby's 3rd birthday a week late because we were on vacation for her b-day. I didn't want to deal with cake while away. We did have to tell the older kids not to mention that it was her birthday to her on the actual day. :lol:

How aware is she that her birthday is tomorrow? And how aware is she of when exactly "tomorrow" comes? For a two year old, I'd wait and celebrate when her present comes in. But we are flexible in our families on birthdays. Often we wait until the weekend to celebrate or someone gets sick etc. and it has to be moved to when we can really celebrate.

She doesn't realize her birthday is tomorrow but I think her brother does. He turns four next week and so in some ways I don't want their birthday celebrations too close together if I can help it. I'm also worried about this not shipping before his birthday next week which would be somewhat complicated.

I'm not against changing holidays when they're this little. Last year they were sick during Halloween and I convinced a couple of my friends who had leftover candy to let them dress up and trick or treat at their place.

I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my DD's birthday tomorrow who will turn two. We ordered her present last Saturday and her brother's present (his birthday is next week) from Amazon using Super Saver shipping. I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime since my husband was a student and just assumed that even though it said 3 to 5 days or so that it would ship sooner. Anyways, my son's present is already here but my daughter's has not even shipped yet. I got her Lauri stacking pegs which I think she would really like. Should I --

1) Cancel the order and buy her something from the store tonight.

2) Wait for the order to come in and celebrate her birthday next week.

3) Run out and grab a dishtowel to make an apron for a gift (which she would love as she's my best helper) and keep the other gift and give it to her later.

I should add that with option number three I would have to make an apron and decorate her cake tonight, which means a late night and grumpy mom who's also in her first trimester and tired and loopy.

What says the hive?

We've been known to offset birthdays by up to a whole month because dh was out of town or we were in the process of a move. The date is special because they were gifted to us on that date. We will usually let them pick their favorite meal for dinner.

But cake and present opening is frequently moved around to fall on a weekend or on a more advantageous week. You can just tell the older child that lil' sis will get her celebration a couple weeks after him this year.

Thanks for all of the responses! We decided to go make a quick run to the dollar store and I picked up a couple of dollar presents that I think she'll like. I'll give her the real gift later. It has finally shipped and will be here mid-next week. We decided not to wait since her brother's birthday is next week and this will be the first real friends party that he's had and I'll be busy planning that. I also work part-time and don't have any work tonight and so I'll have time to frost the cake whereas I might not have the time during next week to pull off two birthdays.