Menu

If you HAD to choose (For those who CRUISE!)

Let me start by saying I realize this is a good problem to have. biggrin.gif

My fiancee just won a cruise at his job. We're headed on the Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean on October 8. Yay, us!

As a little background, I've been to the Eastern Caribbean but he has not. The itinerary is Nassau (meh), Antigua (never been), Tortola (LOVE), St. Thomas (planning on taking a ferry to St. John).

We just found out that the room he won is a standard inside.

Here's the rub.....while I'm beyond grateful for having the opportunity to cruise for "free", regardless of the cabin type, my most favorite part of any cruise is sitting on my balcony with a cup of coffee or cocktail, watching the flying fish fly and the world go by. I live for this.

That said, he doesn't care as much (then again, he's never had a balcony).

I'm trying to decide if I want to cut off the excursions I had planned and upgrade us to a balcony or suck it up in the cabin we've been given. DF says he usually does nothing in port when he cruises. That horrifies me! I love to see new countries and experience new things. But....I've been to all of these places except one. He honestly has no preference, so it's my issue and not his.

I think I can upgrade us for about $350 per person, which I can now swing due to a slightly-larger-then-expected bonus at work. If I do that, though, I'll be looking at probably staying on the ship at one port (Nassau...btdt), beaching it at two where I had catamaran (Tortola to Jost van Dyke) and kayak (Antigua) excursions planned, and snorkeling in the other because that's what we'd planned anyway, and it's a pretty cheap day since we have our own gear and just have ferries and taxis to pay for. I just really don't like the thought of three days of beach, but I literally dream of sitting on my balcony.

What would you do? Is there anything I"m NOT thinking of? I can't really do beach every day.....blah....

I am so jealous. We cruised a lot before we had our 3rd baby. Hardly any cruiselines can accomodate 5 in a room and definitely not when you get a discount! I think your itinerary is great, except Nassau. You are right about that one! Tortola and Antigua both have gorgeous beaches. We just rented a taxi when we were there and spent those as beach days (if you are trying to save money). I am definitely partial to snorkeling though and, if we didn't have kids with us, we would snorkel every day!!!!!! I would love to take a ferry to St John, but St Thomas is a great destination for shopping if you don't want to pay for an excursion (although you will spend money shopping... :lol:).

Have you thought about upgrading to an outside cabin? I have done inside cabins, but I got pretty clausterphobic. I have never splurged on a balcony, but I have had outside cabins and I like those a lot better. You might be able to get on a better floor too (since a standard inside that is free will probably be next to the elevator or the dishwashing area or something). We usually just go find a quiet place on the deck to read or sit and relax. It has never been a problem for us. Those boats are so big!

That said, if you have the money and really want a balcony, $700 isn't much to spend on a balcony cruise!!!!!!!

The itinerary is Nassau (meh), Antigua (never been), Tortola (LOVE), St. Thomas (planning on taking a ferry to St. John).

We are leaving Aug 25th on Carnival to Bermuda and we have an inside cabin on the Riviera deck, the cheapest we could find. My husband calls it the "low income housing" deck. lol.. I definitely would NOT spend any money, much less $350 per person to upgrade.

We went to Mexico last November on Carnival, with an inside cabin, and the only time we were in the cabin was to sleep, shower and dress for dinner.

Save the $350 per person and apply it to another cruise. Our tickets weren't much more than that per person total for a 6 day cruise.

I have never had a balcony room, but I had an Outside view (picture window) for my last cruise and it was so utterly, incredibly worth it. :) Sometimes, we sat on the bed and stared out the window, which is I'm sure not quite as nice as sitting on a balcony, but I was so grateful to be able to watch the scenery from my own room.

I would get a couple of library books and find out what tours, etc. we could do inexpensively, not through the ship. So, I would upgrade the room at least to Outside picture window and then find some tours we could do cheaply.

Dh and I had a room with a balcony when we got married (on a cruise) so I understand where you are coming from. It is bliss to sit on the balcony looking out at the ocean, sipping coffee, feeling the breeze...BUT I would much rather be able to do the excursions if I had to choose one or the other. You can find plenty of things to do and places to go on the ship so that you are only in your cabin to sleep.

All good thoughts, for sure. And before I ever cruised with my first balcony, I ALWAYS booked the cheapest inside I could get. One balcony, though, and I'm completely hooked. I literally dream of it. NO kidding. I also used to never been in my room except to sleep and shower. Now I barely ever want to leave. It's the most peaceful place on earth to me.

BUT (I'm such a pain!) I do love to explore. I've just explored all these places except Antigua.

Hmmm....maybe I should just do St. John when in St. Thomas, as planned, for snorkeling, then beach in Tortola, walk around in Nassau (or stay on the ship because I"ve been there a million times) and just do the one tour in Antigua since I've never been there.

Oh, man. Must crunch numbers.

I have never had a balcony room, but I had an Outside view (picture window) for my last cruise and it was so utterly, incredibly worth it. :) Sometimes, we sat on the bed and stared out the window, which is I'm sure not quite as nice as sitting on a balcony, but I was so grateful to be able to watch the scenery from my own room.

I would get a couple of library books and find out what tours, etc. we could do inexpensively, not through the ship. So, I would upgrade the room at least to Outside picture window and then find some tours we could do cheaply.

I never do tours through the ship. I'm a pretty seasoned cruiser and always book on my own.

Also, I did the "window" room once and it nearly killed me! :D I wanted so badly to hear the ocean and feel the breeze, but couldn't. Still, I think you're right. I'm leading heavily toward the upgrade and just slumming it in the ports, particularly since I've been to all but one before.

And may I just say that I'm incredibly grateful to be able to have such a "dilemma" in my life? Very, very fortunate.

I would do excursions. I'm sure they have other types of excursions than just dropping you off at the beach.

Yes, there are tons! I'm saying "beach" because that's the cheapest thing to do. That, and walking around town (if there is a town to walk around....depends on the port). In fact, I have some great things planned that don't involve the beach at all, but....$$$$$$. That's why I have a problem. I can't have the room I want and do the stuff I want to do. Not this time.

Has DF ever been in an outside room even without a balcony? I only ask because my DH and I could never do one. He gets extremely motion sick and the water going past gets to him too much. I don't get motion sick but the one time I was in an outer room (we were visiting my parents' room) even I started to feel the motion effecting me.

Ah, yes, it's painful to be a balcony snob, isn't it? I am definitely one myself!

Our first cruise we had two connecting balcony cabins (took the kids). Our last cruise we had two interior cabins. Both dh and I agreed--it would be balcony from now on. We hated the interior cabins.

I think it depends, also, on what you look for in a vacation. If your ideal vacation is go, go, go, activities all the time, then inside cabin + excursions would be the way to go. But if you'd rather spend more time relaxing, then I would definitely consider the balcony.

Good luck with your decision--I know it's not easy!

Ah, yes, it's painful to be a balcony snob, isn't it? I am definitely one myself!

Our first cruise we had two connecting balcony cabins (took the kids). Our last cruise we had two interior cabins. Both dh and I agreed--it would be balcony from now on. We hated the interior cabins.

I think it depends, also, on what you look for in a vacation. If your ideal vacation is go, go, go, activities all the time, then inside cabin + excursions would be the way to go. But if you'd rather spend more time relaxing, then I would definitely consider the balcony.

Good luck with your decision--I know it's not easy!

That's an excellent point regarding what we want from a vacation. Depends on the trip, I suppose. This time I think we're both so stressed out we just want to relax and don't care about constantly doing stuff. I really do need to take that into consideration, I suppose.

Last cruise I got the call from the Upgrade Fairy and ended up in the most amazing suite ever. Seriously, I had no business in this place. I felt like a fraud! It was unbelievably beautiful and indulgent and decadent and I would DIE to go back! Not much of a chance, though. I think "once in a lifetime" certainly applies here. My advice to you, though, is if you get the call before your next cruise, don't answer it! It's hard to go back to a balcony, much less an inside (although I've been in plenty of inside cabins, out of necessity).

I was just on a cruise in June. The excursions were "okay," but give the choice I'd go for the balcony. It extends your room, and it's just a wonderful, peaceful experience. (whereas Nassau was hot and stressful, even though new and different) And if you can still do cheap excursions, it's a win/win.

Hmmmmm . . . . Interesting question. I guess if it were me (and I understand - I'm also a balcony snob!), I'd stick with the inside room for this cruise. Do the excursions. You can always go up on deck to enjoy the scenery and the ocean (and a drink!). And, then, while on board, book your next cruise - in a balcony!!!

Oh - is there any chance of an upgrade at the port? Those tend to be cheaper. You'd have to go into it knowing it might not happen though.

I leave for my next cruise in 33 days!!!!!

All good thoughts, for sure. And before I ever cruised with my first balcony, I ALWAYS booked the cheapest inside I could get. One balcony, though, and I'm completely hooked. I literally dream of it. NO kidding. I also used to never been in my room except to sleep and shower. Now I barely ever want to leave. It's the most peaceful place on earth to me.

BUT (I'm such a pain!) I do love to explore. I've just explored all these places except Antigua.

Hmmm....maybe I should just do St. John when in St. Thomas, as planned, for snorkeling, then beach in Tortola, walk around in Nassau (or stay on the ship because I"ve been there a million times) and just do the one tour in Antigua since I've never been there.

Oh, man. Must crunch numbers.

Given this, and your previously mentioned stress level, I change my answer! Get the balcony. Stay on the boat in port except for the places you really want to see - like St John and Antigua. And for those either book your own tour or just walk around. I prefer that to booking through the ship anyway, and you are much more likely to get a good deal.

I'd get the balcony. I love leaving the door open at night and listening to the waves.

It sounds like you are an experienced cruiser; are you getting your own excursions? They are usually cheaper and better than the ship's excursions and then perhaps you could do both.

I never do tours through the ship. I'm a pretty seasoned cruiser and always book on my own.

Also, I did the "window" room once and it nearly killed me! :D I wanted so badly to hear the ocean and feel the breeze, but couldn't. Still, I think you're right. I'm leading heavily toward the upgrade and just slumming it in the ports, particularly since I've been to all but one before.

And may I just say that I'm incredibly grateful to be able to have such a "dilemma" in my life? Very, very fortunate.

It sounds like you really want the balcony room and are not going to be very happy without it. :D (Balcony snob!;)) Since you know your way around the ports, you probably don't need to spend the big bucks on excursions and since dh doesn't care that much, so much the better.

And yes, that is a very nice dilemma to have. Might not want to mention it on FB, people might get testy...:leaving:

I am the one who got uncomfortable on our cruise. We were on a smaller boat and spray was a concern too.

That being said I like a larger room and a tiny bit of luxury. I would up grade but probably not to a balcony room. Then I would try to balance the activities in each port.

Hope you have a great time.

I'd get the balcony. I love leaving the door open at night and listening to the waves.

It sounds like you are an experienced cruiser; are you getting your own excursions? They are usually cheaper and better than the ship's excursions and then perhaps you could do both.

Me too! I love leaving the door open and listening to the ocean and smelling and feeling the warm, salty air. Ahhh...Heaven on earth, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I always book my own stuff. I haven't booked anything through the ship since my very first cruise 20+ years ago. Still can't do both, though. I usually budget for and plan my cruises well in advance so I can save for everything I want to do (cabin selection, excursions, specialty restaurants, etc). Since this one has kind of been sprung on us I just can't do everything this time, particularly since I'm planning (and paying deposits for) my wedding in April.

I'm thinking it's gonna have to be the balcony. I can't help myself.