Menu

Refurbished Macs

I just ordered a refurb. I have been told that most of them are open box returns or cancelled orders. I don't think any of them have something wrong with them that have been fixed.

I have heard nothing but good things about refurbished Apples.

You may want to be sure and take into consideration the $100 app bonus and $100 educator's discount with ordering new though and make sure you are coming out ahead with a refurb.

Dawn

I just saw Tina's mac thread, so if you posted there, I've got your input, thanks.

Kathkath, my dh is looking at the mac mini. Personally, I would like the feel of a new fresh start, but we'll see. Cash out of pocket will determine a lot.

Dawn, thanks, we will definitely look at new versus refurb pricing/features options. I do want to get a feel for whether those of you who went with refurbs eventually regretted not just getting new from the get-go.

If money is an issue, an Asus 4gb i3 can be had with Win 7 for a whole lot less. This is not equal to the i7 with 8+gb, but it is like getting 75 percent of the operation of a Mac. Keep in mind that it is about half the price too, LOL

Depends on what you will use it for ... most people never touch a tenth of the Mac. If money is an issue, I would have to say that you don't need it and that you shouldn't cut yourself short for what is popular on the hive at this time. It is hard to see through the popularity - you don't buy a BMW because your neighbor has one. You may just need a good old SUV. Ya know?

Edited by ChrissySC
Eating peanut butter Lance crackers.

We seriously need a new desktop. We really want to switch over to a Mac. But I can't thoil a brand new Mac, not if the refurbished ones perform just as well.

I would appreciate hearing about your experiences, if you've gone this route. Thanks!

I haven't, but a friend and her DH only buy refurbished Mac products and have been very happy with them.

Maybe she just wants one.

I am very happy to be switching to Macs after my purchase almost 2 years ago.

Dawn

If money is an issue, an Asus 4gb i3 can be had with Win 7 for a whole lot less. This is not equal to the i7 with 8+gb, but it is like getting 75 percent of the operation of a Mac. Keep in mind that it is about half the price too, LOL

Depends on what you will use it for ... most people never touch a tenth of the Mac. If money is an issue, I would have to say that you don't need it and that you shouldn't cut yourself short for what is popular on the hive at this time. It is hard to see through the popularity - you don't buy a BMW because your neighbor has one. You may just need a good old SUV. Ya know?

Edited by DawnM

I just saw Tina's mac thread, so if you posted there, I've got your input, thanks.

Kathkath, my dh is looking at the mac mini. Personally, I would like the feel of a new fresh start, but we'll see. Cash out of pocket will determine a lot.

Dawn, thanks, we will definitely look at new versus refurb pricing/features options. I do want to get a feel for whether those of you who went with refurbs eventually regretted not just getting new from the get-go.

FWIW my dh works on a mac at work and has a niiiiiiicccceee laptop. He does heavy-duty professional video animation requiring a lot of computer. He chose a mini for us at home bc we couldn't stomach the price of a desktop mac. We ended up getting the almost-bottom-of-the-rung model mini (maybe one upgrade from the bottom in memory or speed) and it is way more than we need for our home use. He doesn't do animation on it though.

I have always bought used Macs with no problems at all. I have never bought a refurbished one (can't even afford them) but guessing they would be just fine. :)

Be careful on how old ... there is a generation of Macs from around the 2004ish era that had a model or two that required folded paper and duct tape to keep the processor seated. I am not telling a lie. I swear it. I had to do it to two machines.:lol: This was the best techie solution we could come up with at the time. Stick to the last five years and no more!

Go duct tape! LOL It is not just for racing.

We've purchased at least 3 Mac refurbs over our many years of living with Macs, with no troubles. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a refurb that has been our longest lasting computer...

They often come with a special price for extended warranty or for Apple Care, which was a real blessing for us on one computer that completely died just 2 weeks before that 1-year Apple Care ran out, and we received a complete repair at no charge -- that computer went on to run for years after with no problems.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I bought a referb. The first one I got was a dud, but they had a new one to me in 24 hours.

The second one is awesome. It's survived a lot of beating from DS. (Including him putting a transformers paper in the CD drive, because it said "put this code in your computer." :lol: I can' laugh about it now....)