Menu

Consumer math

As I posted in another thread, I really am somewhat math phobic, and feel that I cannot teach math... (okay maybe fourth or fifth grade). My son has completed Algebra I (with tutor), geometry (with tutor), algebra 2 (with another tutor). He is NOT a math kid. I saw the A Beka consumer math, also heard of BJU consumer math, read about life pac consumer math, or another consumer math program. Do you think he could just do the A Beka math on his own, and if he got stuck I am not sure what he would do. What have others done and liked for consumer math? He is doing this in addition to SAT prep (in Sept-Oct). so I need something that's not a joke, but that is easy and fun for him to do on his own. Please post suggestions. Thank you.

Ame

I've not used the course, but you should check with some local colleges and see if it's accepted as a high school math credit. I had a mom at my church (who's sent several kids to the closest state college) say that for the last two kids the school would not accept business math as a high school credit. Our state is now requiring 4 maths, with the 4th one higher than Algebra 2.

Thanks. Our homeschool provider says he has met the math requirements for their hs diploma. This math course is an elective. He is a musician, and although one of the schools he is applying to suggests precalculus for 12th, this would NOT be a good option for him.

In math world it's either

A Beka Consumer math

BJU consumer math

Switched on schoolhouse consumer math

Life Pac consumer math

or something else

or he preps for SAT and does health or essay writing for his elective..

Most of the consumer math programs I've looked at are really "math" courses and not "life skills" courses, so I wouldn't have any problem giving him full math credit if he completes it, although the state colleges do seem to get strange lately.

I didn't use any of those so no help there. My boys were more mathy and my dd needed more life skills emphasis.

My biggest concern would be whether those textbook companies provide any support if your ds gets stuck. And likely he will get stuck at least once or twice in a math program. I know if you use a popular math program around here, you can get help on the boards easily. If you use a homeschool-friendly curriculum, you can get help by emailing the author. But those programs, I'm not sure how much support you can find? Maybe other users would know that.

Julie

This is what we are doing. Dd is pretty good in math, but not as good as a math/science kid. We did Algebra 2 last year, and are doing Lial's Intermediate Algebra this year. It is just a little harder than the Algebra 2 but not as hard a precalculus. We have started our school year, and I can already tell it is really helping to seal what she did last year. It seems like a repeat, but just a little more in depth. There are very thorough explanations in the text.

BJU Consumer Math is the hardest of your list. And, there are no dvds for it. I would be tempted to suggest SOS Consumer Math since there would be some interactive things with it, but you would need to know a little about computers to be able to go in and adjust grades if necessary. Most people I know have done A Beka Consumer Math.

This is the curriculum I'll be using:

http://www.wiesereducational.com/cms/previews/MM7371/

It has review of basic math, including fractions, decimals and percents built in, as welll as specific consumer-oriented topics.

I looked at the BJU program, but when it suggested that a teen's "dream car" might be a Cadillac, I thought it wasn't very in tune with today's teens. And I simply don't like ABeka materials in general, so I didn't even look at that.

I don't use MUS, but he has a Consumer Math program that I have heard great reviews of locally.

I do use MUS, but haven't used the Stewardship program. Since you have mostly Christian programs on your options list, you might really like this one. It is definitely possible for him to do it on his own.

I have a friend whose dc did ABeka Consumer Math after finishing Saxon Alg. 2. Her dc did okay okay in math and found ABeka's progam useful but much more challenging than they expected. I would look into the MUS option. I think they may offer it as an online class now, just in case you feel you may need that support.

My dd will do MUS Stewardship this year. We are borrowing from a friend whose daughter did it last year. Neither of our girls are "mathy" - this is the best fit for us. My friend really liked the devotional aspect being joined to the discussion of "consumer" math, as she felt it helped provide a reality check in all the consumer discussions. I do believe it is probably best for kids who find math challenging in general.