Menu

Unique Baby Shower Games

I realize that yes, not everyone loves baby shower games, HOWEVER, my sister and I are throwing a shower for our SIL and I'm quite certain she'll want them.

So. . . I'm just looking for something a little out of the norm. Nothing that involves eliminating the word 'baby' from conversation or searching for safety pins in a bowl of rice (what does that have to do with babies anyway?) or sniffing melted candy bars in disposable diapers. Send me your best ideas! :D

I was Game Person at a shower last week--we had a baby trivia contest where everyone tried to guess the answers to questions like, "How long is the average length of labor for a first baby?" and "What does the Apgar test for?" and "How many diapers does a newborn usually need per week?"

What they didn't know until it was time to add up the scores is I had gotten the "answers" from the very funny and helplessly ignorant dad-to-be. :D

for my baby shower we decorated onesises with fabric crayons (in groups, winner was picked by the preggo)

we also did a game where we handed out papers with animals on them and people had to write down the baby names of the same animals (cow=calf, eagle=eaglet, ect...)

I though those were fun :001_smile:

I just attended a shower where we were given a list and asked to put in what we thought the Mom's answer would be. (Like baby ___________, play ___________, Mommy's ______________, diaper ___________) There were about 20 of them. The hostess had called the Mom when she was really tired and asked for the first thing that came to mind. The answers were a hoot.

We also played present bingo. We had a blank sheet and had to fill in the blanks with things we thought she'd receive as gifts. The first Bingo winner got a bigger prize. Everyone else got a small bag of chocolates.

Ooh, we have done some fun ones.

One was called Mr. Right. It is a story you read aloud and have a goodie bag or gift every time the word right or left is read you pass the bag around the room in the direction called off. The person holding the bag at the end of the story gets to keep the bag.

Another one was with various candy and candy bars. A clue was read and you had to guess the candy that went with it. Of course whoever guessed it got the candy.

For example: Clue-- breastfeeding Candy--milky way

We split the guests up in groups of 3 or 4 and gave each group a nursery rhyme or song. Each group had to rewrite the song to be specifically about birth, babies, diapers, the mom-to-be, etc. and perform it. Dance moves were encouraged! The mom-to-be chose the best group for the win! I think one of the ladies did a few scrapbook pages with the rewritten songs for the mom, too.

It was fun!

I love baby shower games. A fun one we did recently was guessing the girth of the mom-to-be. Everyone was given a ribbon and had to cut it to the length they thought was correct. And then they did something with all that ribbon, but I can't remember what. Sorry, I guess I am not much help!

We've also done playdough sculptures of what we think baby will look like. THen the mom-to-be picked her favorite. EVeryone was given a time limit and she was not in the room when we were working on them.

I went to one where you were given a famous mom when you entered. It was written on a piece of paper that was then taped to your back. Everyone else could see it, but not you. You could ask simple questions that had an answer of "yes" or "no." There was a prize for the first one to figure out who they were. Even after a winner was declared, it was fun for the rest of us to keep it going. This game happened during the arrival time, as people were mingling and munching on the finger foods. Oh, and it turns out, I was the OctoMom...LOL.

I made up a name that childhood song game once. I recorded about 10 songs and then asked questions about them. I don't remember them all but it was things like

I played the Kenny Loggins vs of All the Pretty Little Ponies and had the game players list all the types of ponies in the song (I stated a disclaimer that this was the version I was going by, so any other version would be wrong LOL).

I played Disney theme songs and they had to list the movie.

I played the beginning and then asked what items were promised in the Mocking bird song.

I can't remember the others but it was fun and different. I tried to find things that each generation of guests would be most likely to remember.

Another one. Each guest has to put a paper plate on top of their head and draw a baby without looking. The mom-to-be picks the winner.

Oh, another fun one. Give each guest a 3x5 card. One one side they write a question about babies, motherhood, etc. "When can i expect my baby to sleep through the night?" Then everyone passes their card to the person on their right. When they get a card passed to them they right the answer to their question on the other side.

The host reads them aloud. We always end up with hilarious combinations!

I remember playing one once where you had to match the animal with what its baby was called.

Ex: Kangaroo and Joey

Goat and Kid

You will be surprised what baby names for animals you will find. It can be a challenging game and fun to learn.

Also, you could do a fill in the blank nursery rhyme game.

I second the game where you write ques. on one side of the card and pass it and someone else answers THEIR question on the other side.

We also had a game where 2 volunteers held the ends of a piece of rope and contestants had to hold a baby doll, pretend to hold a conversation on their cell phone and hang up laundry. The person who hung up the most clothes in the time limit was the winner. Having the mom to be conversing with the contestant was really funny. Like she asked one lady (who was really struggling with the task) what she was making for dinner. She replied "Spaghetti" The mom to be asked "What else?" and she responded "Mashed potatoes". She was good naturedly teased all evening.

Another one was with various candy and candy bars. A clue was read and you had to guess the candy that went with it. Of course whoever guessed it got the candy.

We did this one! It was so fun! SIL put all the candy bars on a tray and walked around and let everyone look at the tray for a few seconds, then she covered the tray and gave us the paper with clues on them. We had to try and remember the candy bar names (Baby Ruth, Zero, Jelly Belly, Whatchamacalit, Milky Way, Almond Joy, WHoppers, etc.) and match them up to the clues.

The person who got the most right answers got to keep all the candy bars.

I just remember one of the clues:

How much sleep will a new mom get: _____________

The answer was Zero.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I'm doing something similar to this, except I made it into a Memory/Concentration type game and the person who matches up the words gets the corresponding candy :)

And then we're going to do gift bingo. I've done it before and like it--makes the gift opening a little more fun for the guests I think.

And, finally, I used my Silhouette to cut out a bunch of onesie-shaped cards. I'm going to have people write advice/well-wishes on them and then hang them on a clothesline. Then SIL can put them in a scrapbook or whatever. I'm toying with the idea of snapping a picture of each guest and then putting their picture and card together in a small album for her. Depends on how ambitious I'm feeling by the time I make the 12-hour drive to the shower with 3 kids in tow. . . :D

So anyway, hopefully it will be fun!