Menu

Need ideas for goofy read-alouds, please

Hi, all!

This is the first time I've started a thread here :lol:. I'm writing to ask for ideas for fun/silly/goofy read-aloud books for my son (2nd grade/7 years old). Instead of a dedicated reader program last winter/spring (first time HSing) we just went to the library, checked out books at his reading level (As and Bs with some Cs), and he read to me for 20 minutes every school day.

He loves silly books like any Dr. Seuss and Mo Willems, especially the Piggie and Elephant (a bit too easy but he loves them) and Pigeon ones. But he read all of them last year. He also went through all of the Fly Guy books.

So as our school year approaches, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for other books along these lines that I can look for at the library or even purchase. If I check out a book that looks "boring" he'll fuss about reading it.

Or if you know of a reader series by any publishers, I'd be interested in that, too. We do lots of lit-based learning, but I know he needs to be reading to me, too. I looked at Sonlight just for the readers but you have to buy the IG, which is $65!!

TIA!

christina

Not super-silly IMO, but enjoyed here:

Anything by Roald Dahl

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Gooney Bird Greene

Dead Famous or Horrible Histories (or Horrible Science, Horrible Geography or Murderous Maths)

Amelia Bedelia might be good for him to read.

You can buy just the SL readers, with a schedule (which is about $6 instead of $65) here. I actually just bought the readers off the list and organized them as they were listed in the SL catalogue. It worked/is working fine.

Not super-silly IMO, but enjoyed here:

Anything by Roald Dahl

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Gooney Bird Greene

Dead Famous or Horrible Histories (or Horrible Science, Horrible Geography or Murderous Maths)

Amelia Bedelia might be good for him to read.

You can buy just the SL readers, with a schedule (which is about $6 instead of $65) here. I actually just bought the readers off the list and organized them as they were listed in the SL catalogue. It worked/is working fine.

How did I not see that on the Sonlight Web site? I cruised around it a bunch (we also looked at Sonlight for history and/or science) but I never found the IG for just the readers. Now I'm going to troll the sale board to see if I can find a bunch of the readers used, if the IG is only $6.00! I was thinking maybe we should have a wee bit of structure on his reading to me time, and this might be perfect. Not goofy but they look like lovely books!

Thanks!

How about the Shel Silverstein books like Where the Sidewalk Ends and Runny Babbit and the Giving Tree. It is sort of like Dr Suess but for a little older kids. My 7yo loves them.

OK--you ladies rock! We OWN Where the Sidewalk Ends...but it never occurred to me to have DS read to me. That's a great idea!

thanks!

christina

I'm not quite sure what level you're looking for.

The Time Warp Trio books are just a bit beyond Magic Treehouse

Open Me, I'm a Dog by Art Spiegelman

Astrid Lindgren's Lotta series and her Emil series are quite funny

Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

Bad Kitty (Bath, Baby, Birthday) leaves us in stitches

some of the simpler Roald Dahl books... The Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, Fantastic Mr. Fox

Calvin & Hobbes

How to Train Your Dragon and sequels

Araminta Spookie series by Sage

Ghosthunters series by Funke

My 8y/o daughter loves these silly read alouds:

The Undone Fairy Tale

Washington State Kindie-rocker, Eric Ode--his poems: "Tales of the Wild West"

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Tin Tin books (comic-novel books) -- he's like a European Johnny Quest prankster to catch the bad guys

Pippy Longstocking

Big Friendly Giant

Scrambled States of America and it's sequel

Mary Poppins (especially a chapter called "Bad Tuesday")

Canterbury Tales (the Oxford Illustrated Classic)...the tale of Chanticleer the Rooster. Some of the stories are a little dicey, but funny. Read first before sharing. :)

How to Eat Fried Worms

Okay, I was confused at first. To me "read aloud" means a book the parent reads to the child. What you want is easy readers or early chapter books that your ds can read to you, right?

In that case, may I suggest The Big Fat Cow that Goes Ka-Pow and The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat by Andy Griffiths. That's *exactly* what you're looking for, I think. The older Berenstain Bears books (The Bear Scouts, The Bike Lesson, etc.) are also really silly and easy to read. He might also enjoy Ricky Ricotta, which is a bit longer.

For something slightly harder, how about Melvin Beederman or Frankie Pickle? Some of the things suggested above might also be good for something slightly harder - Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Araminta Spookie, Wayside School, some of the Roald Dahl... those are all not too hard. But they're a big jump from Fly Guy or Elephant and Piggie.

Okay, I was confused at first. To me "read aloud" means a book the parent reads to the child. What you want is easy readers or early chapter books that your ds can read to you, right?

In that case, may I suggest The Big Fat Cow that Goes Ka-Pow and The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat by Andy Griffiths. That's *exactly* what you're looking for, I think. The older Berenstain Bears books (The Bear Scouts, The Bike Lesson, etc.) are also really silly and easy to read. He might also enjoy Ricky Ricotta, which is a bit longer.

For something slightly harder, how about Melvin Beederman or Frankie Pickle? Some of the things suggested above might also be good for something slightly harder - Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Araminta Spookie, Wayside School, some of the Roald Dahl... those are all not too hard. But they're a big jump from Fly Guy or Elephant and Piggie.

I love your recommendations, Farrar. I find they are spot-on for my 6 yo son's tastes.

I love your recommendations, Farrar. I find they are spot-on for my 6 yo son's tastes.

Hear hear--thanks for the great ideas (and to everyone else who posted)! Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed by all of these decisions to make and all of this responsibility, so it means a lot to be able to come here and get advice/help!

Since I can actually buy the study guide for just the Sonlight readers (which I could not find on my own when I searched--sigh), we're going to do the Sonlight Grade 2 readers this year. I found all but two of the books used last night--yay! I wanted goofy originally but I think having him progress to harder books will be more important so we don't stall out on easy fun stuff.

I think I'll keep some fun stuff on hand from the library in case we ever have a day where he balks. Then we can just take a fun reading day and be silly.

thanks again, ladies!

christina