Menu

If you do low carb do you count calories?

I have lost a lot of weight quickly (55 lbs since mid February). I've gone from a size 16 to a 2/4 :)

I started off very low carb/ low calorie. Now I am very low carb and eat about 1200-1400 calories a day. I don't have any hunger/ craving issues and sometimes have to eat something when I'm not hungry to get up to that calorie range. I seem to still be losing slowly. I'd like to lose 5-10 more but that isn't really a goal. I would be thrilled to maintain.

I'm just wondering if other successful low carbers watch their calorie count as well. I'd like to get away from that but I am very worried about regaining the weight. I've been tracking in Sparkpeople. I'm just not sure where to go from here as far as maintaining.

No, after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories I don't count them anymore. Too many studies show that you don't have to count calories if you are low carb. Your body will adjust just fine. That said, make sure you get enough veggies, water, and sleep!!!!! The biggest cause of stalls for me are lack of sleep and stress. Messes with the hormones.

Yes I do pay attention to calorie and fat intake. I lost tons of weight on Atkins years ago but when I tried it this time, I actually GAINED weight.

Now I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies and some fruits, protein shakes, and sprouted grain bread. So basically, it is a South Beach thing...low glycemic, lower fat, high fiber...

Good job on your weight loss!!