Menu

Grammar options for a 7th grader

I am posting here instead of the K-8 Board because I'm hoping some of you that have already done the middle school years can advise me.

My dd is has used Rod & Staff grammar for the past three years. It is a good program, but I think we both could use a change. I've been looking at the Stewart English Program by EPS. Has anyone here used it? Any likes or dislikes? Thank you.

BTW, Is it better to post on this board about middle school questions, or the K-8 Board? I was thinking that since you ladies have BTDT, this High School Board might give me more info.

Good morning,

Let me see if I can answer your question. (Note that I have only had one cup of coffee this morning and welcome anyone to jump in here to fill any holes that I may leave, due to my "coffee-less" state. HeeHee)

I now have high schoolers, and with that comes A LOT of writing. This is mostly done in the form of essays. So, at some point as you approach or during your first years of high school, grammar starts taking a back seat. Now, mind you I did not say, don't do grammar, but grammar should be solidly in the child's mind, not so that they can do a grammar exercise, as they would have done in elementary or middle school, but so that they can USE this grammar information in their WRITING. Some time during the 8th or 9th grade year, grammar should move to a place of REVIEW(Maybe once a week), BUT then USED in their writing EVERY DAY.

In other words, they must KNOW it, so that they can USE it. Make sense?

For instance, they write a sentence, and it has two independent clauses joined by a conjunction. They must BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY that these are REALLY two independent clauses, AND if these two independent clauses need any type of punctuation to separate them. SEE?

If the child does not have these skills firmly established so that they can USE this material, then you need to continue with grammar instruction into high school.

I think the best approach to this style is Analytical Grammar which is completed in middle school and then Reviewed during high school every four years. The student actually USES their AG grammar book to help them with their writing. It becomes their "grammar handbook".

They would use it to go and correct any grammar mistakes they find in their writing.

It is recommended by Susan Wise Bauer, and it has found many wonderful reviews on this board.

Hope I answered your question.

Going to get that other cup of coffee and get ready for church,

Blessings,

Brenda:)

You specifically asked about Stewart English by EPS:

Stewart concentrates on applying grammatical concepts to writing. It can, therefore, function as sort of a bridge between learning grammar and using it in composition. It can be useful in this regard. However, I would not use it for introducing grammatical concepts to a student for the first time.

My favorite grammar-with-some-composition program for 7th on up are the older editions of Warriner's. The student editions can be easily found used, although finding the teacher's guide that matches the specific student edition of Warriner's can be tough.

Seton sells these out-of-print Warriner's with a stapled-paper answer key (not the same thing as the originally published teacher guides) at very reasonable prices: http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-EN09-11&supp=1&PHPSESSID=1c2d0b3c772507299c02f2ca8dd0089c

In Warriner's, the "First Course" is 7th grade, "Second Course" is 8th grade, etc.

If you want to get the originally published teacher guide, the best approach would be to find a teacher guide first, and THEN look for the matching student edition, rather than the other way around. The student editions tend to be plentiful on various used book sites, but, as I said, the matching teacher's guides can be tough to locate.

Stewart and Warriner's (or other grammar/composition program) can be complementary. I have used both simultaneously, with Stewart basically supplementing Warriner's.

If you have used Rod and Staff that long, chances are, she can take a break. Does she have it down or does she still struggle? Even in public and private schools, grammar is stopped after 7th grade.

Also, for me, after 3 years of BJU Grammar (in which we did 4 books worth) we went to Easy Grammar for this past year. It was a wonderful break. Now I feel DD has had enough Grammar for her school career and is ready to move on. We will be going to a strictly writing program.

We use Hake grammar. It's very nuts and bolts, so we can cover grammar but focus more on using the skills in writing. When we edit writing samples together, we identify the parts of speech, editing errors, etc. We have found that editing (not just their work, but news stories, etc.) has helped to give them an "eye" for errors. Then when we practice with their own writing, they tend to get the grammar aspects more quickly.

I told my daughter (7th) when she finished Grammar Key and the Mechanics version she can be done formally with grammar. She's had a lot of Latin, and her writing USES the grammar, so I'm ready to be done with it. These are two CDs where you click on the subject, noun, etc. It gets harder as you advance through the lessons, obviously!

Sue

We used Easy Grammar a year after R$S....then we used BJU for two years. My 8th grader needs some grammar review, so we are doing R&S workbooks for review. If your student did very well after 3 years of R&S you might concentrate on writing and literature. Or you might go to your local teacher supply store and buy a little grammar workbook for some review.

I want to second Analytical Grammar. You can use it over the two years before High School.

We also have used Stewart English. The books are quite short and have worked well for a little (non-diagramming) High School review.