Menu

Class Idea for Enrichment Co-Op

Could any of you help me with some ideas for a 30 minute class at an enrichment co-op? The classes meet once a week for 8 weeks, and the group will be 7th-12th grades with probably 12-15 kids.

The other classes that will be happening during the day are a money management class taught be a dad who's a CPA, a PE class, and a law and justice class, studying the legal system and our trial process. They will hold a trial for the Big Bad Wolf and his crimes against the 3 little pigs.

Does anyone have any good ideas for the last 30 minutes we need to fill? Thanks!

A poetry-writing workshop? Science experiments? A book discussion? Some sort of arts and crafts class? Some sort of first aid/wilderness/survival kind of thing? A "community helper" thing where you get someone from different careers to come in and talk about their jobs? Putting together a class newspaper? A cooking class? A group quilting bee kind of thing?

How about a logic & debate class? You could spend the majority of time studying logic and then divide up into teams for the last few weeks for some debate fun.....

ETA: Just re-read your OP. Might overlap with the law & justice class. Philosophy?

Edited by cowgirl

Are you teaching? What do you know? I think that's the best place to start, especially for a high school course. If you aren't teaching it yourself, what other talents do the parents have. I have seen some really bad classes come out of not asking that question first.

I think for 30 minutes, if you don't have a parent with a clear skill set to teach something, a book club like Momling said would be your best bet. The students can run the discussion, and you just need someone willing to moderate/ keep things rolling.

Are you teaching? What do you know? I think that's the best place to start, especially for a high school course. If you aren't teaching it yourself, what other talents do the parents have. I have seen some really bad classes come out of not asking that question first.

I think for 30 minutes, if you don't have a parent with a clear skill set to teach something, a book club like Momling said would be your best bet. The students can run the discussion, and you just need someone willing to moderate/ keep things rolling.

I direct our co-op, and we need two 30 minute classes filled one of which is the Jr/Sr high group. I was trying to get ideas in case others ask for suggestions.

I direct our co-op, and we need two 30 minute classes filled one of which is the Jr/Sr high group. I was trying to get ideas in case others ask for suggestions.

If they ask, I would honestly ask them what they are able to teach well, either because it is something they are trained in professionally or because it is a hobby. If you can find the right person, some ideas that would work in only 30 minutes a week would be: SAT/ACT test prep, study skills, book club, math review, speech, career exploration, or current events.