Menu

Kindle & Migraines

Calm37

I was very excited to buy a Kindle after reading all the great ways everyone is using them. I went to Best Buy to try one out. I was so surprised to see that when you go to a new page the Kindle flashes for a aplit second from white on black to black on white before displaying.

This doesn't happen at all on the Kindle app for my PC. It seamlessly goes to the new page without changing the background color. I know the flash is very short, but just after a few pages I could feel my head starting to react negatively and I know that I would start a migraine very quickly trying to read with that.

Does anyone have a different brand of ereader that moves to a new page without doing that? I'm pretty sure that the ipad doesn't flash like that, but I am wondering about something CHEAPER.

Thanks!

Cathy M.

I suffer from migraines (and have for quite a while). I am also a Kindle owner. I do know that the one that they have out on display is NOT a "real" Kindle. It's one that is made specifically for display only (one that you couldn't sell later and turn into a regular Kindle).

I have NEVER had that problem with my Kindle. I don't get that "flash" you are referring to. I think that may be specific to the DISPLAY model.

I know that I see that flash on display models for the Kindle, Nook, etc. But I've seen them in "real life" and never saw that happen.

Hope this helps.

I know that I see that flash on display models for the Kindle, Nook, etc. But I've seen them in "real life" and never saw that happen.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tara,

The thing is that my husband works at a company where people come into the waiting room quite often with their Kindles. I had him ask and he said people agreed with what you said, that their Kindles don't flash like that.

Then, on several occasions, he asked those with their Kindles there to show him and each time it did flash! The people said they were surprised, that they had never noticed that it did that because it was so quick. But because they don't notice visual disturbances (like flickering fluorescent lights) they just had never even seen that, even though it is quick, it was happening.

I know he has tried 3 or 4 Kindles and said they all did it. Is it possible that it is just slower on the displays? He has never had anyone with a different brand of ereader.

Blessings,

Cathy M.

There is a change with mine, but I wouldn't call it a "flash" because there's no *light*, you know? I can't stare at a computer screen non-stop to read because the light will give me a migraine. But I can read my Kindle all day without problems because it isn't backlit. ... But there can be a split-second there of black-then-gray as it goes from one display to another. It's really hard to say what might cause someone *else* to have a migraine. For me, it's far, far, far better than reading on a backlit screen (like my laptop or computer).

Not a problem, Cathy!!

I will probably say that if there is a delay it is more pronounced on the display models. I've never had a problem with my Kindle... and I know what you are saying about visual disturbances. I notice flickering lights, etc. and just don't have a problem with the Kindle.

I will tell you that most ereaders use the same e-ink technology as the Kindle. The iPad and the nook color do not use this technology. BUT... they are back lit. That seems to bother me while I'm reading. It can also effect your sleep pattern if you are reading later at night. I get a headache after reading on my iPad, while I don't for the Kindle.

I hope this helps!! Sorry I can't tell you a distinct answer.

God Bless,

Tara

It's because of the e-ink technology. The whole screen goes black to "reset" the screen; otherwise you would start seeing shadows of previous text. I have a e-reader that lets you choose how often it does a full-page refresh (the Pocketbook 360 -- this one or others from the same company may be a good choice if you plan to read mainly public-domain ebooks).

The iPad, Nook Color, and other tablet PC's don't do this, but the backlight may cause other kinds of problems, like eyestrain.

Don't have either. Yet. ;) However, my close friends do. My friend just got a Kindle and when I was looking at it, the same thing was happening with it going to black/inverted lighting every time I flipped pages. That was enough for me to say I won't be getting a Kindle. My other friend has a Nook. I mentioned to her that the lighting was going to give me a migraine and we were able to dim the light which made it a lot better.

I have a kindle and I know what you're talking about, but I doubt it'd be a problem for your migraines. I get headaches super easily, and when things flash it really bothers me, but since this has no light, it's really more like turning a page of a real book, or a quick wipe of a blackboard. It was really noticeable to me the first 2 days I had it, but now don't notice it at all.

I am a chronic sufferer of headaches and migraines, mostly from a bunch of other conditions I have.

i went into several stores after I purchased my kindle, and looking at all those readers, I am convinced I made the best purchase for my situation.

Yes, if I am slowly reading (say a reference item like WTM) then i do notice it more, but it really doesn't bother me. If I am reading a novel, I'm a fast scanner, so i don't notice it much. I have a 1st or 2nd gen Kindle DX, the bigger screen helps since I'm a fast reader, it means I have to turn the page less often than on a normal kindle. Its also more expensive though, but is useful since it reads PDF format, which means I don't have to convert a lot of my documents. the DX is more expensive though.

So, if you an average reader, I would suggest normal kindle, if your a fast reader like me, I have found the DX to be better. I think, because of my reading speed, if I read on a normal size kindle, the page turning would annoy me a bit more. I have gotten to the point, where several times, i actually tried to "turn" the page, and got all confused rofl. Most other readers use very white backgrounds and very black ink. This does start a migraine, its like reading a 320 pages sparkling crisp bright pdf document on your computer, the white white of the background just seems to burn through my retinas.

Things that bother me more are red back headlights on cars, and breaking lights. Whenever I am in the car with DH, I have to shield my eyes, an stare down at the floor, as those red lights are a sure-fire way to start one of my migraines.

Sorry, all that was a bit of a ramble, but I hope I have helped in some way!

xxx

skueppers is right. That's just the way e-ink works. A lot of people do describe it as a "flash", but since the Kindle isn't backlit, there's no actual light involved. The screen briefly goes black to avoid shadowing on the next "page" displayed.

Any e-ink reader is going to do this. Sony Reader, Kobo, Nook, Kindle, etc. The newer Pearl e-ink is faster at resetting itself for the next "page" than the older e-ink, so a Kindle 3 for example doesn't show as long a flash as the original Kindle did. It's not as noticeable, and most people who use e-ink readers get used to it and stop noticing it altogether. I do understand how the color changing back and forth might bother someone who has migraines, though.

If you get a backlit e-reader or a tablet to use as an e-reader, like a Nook Color, iPad, Pandigital Novel, etc, it won't have the "flash" between pages. But the backlight itself may cause eyestrain or otherwise bother you during long reading sessions, if you're prone to migraines.

You might want to look into the Aluratek Libre Pro. The Libre's screen is a reflective LCD. It doesn't emit light, so has that in common with e-ink and would possibly be easier on the eyes than a backlit screen, but it also shouldn't have the full-page refresh that was bothering you. It's on sale at Target right now for $70.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. That makes sense about it having to do with the e-ink needing to reset the screen. I do agree that we certainly all have different triggers for migraines. For whatever reason that reset/flash really catches my eye.

I have been able to use the Kindle app on my pc with the sepia option. I have read several books that way and the back-lighting doesn't seem to bother me as much. But I sit 2-3 feet from a 20in. screen using large print.

I am disappointed, but life goes on! :)

I was very excited to buy a Kindle after reading all the great ways everyone is using them. I went to Best Buy to try one out. I was so surprised to see that when you go to a new page the Kindle flashes for a aplit second from white on black to black on white before displaying.

This doesn't happen at all on the Kindle app for my PC. It seamlessly goes to the new page without changing the background color. I know the flash is very short, but just after a few pages I could feel my head starting to react negatively and I know that I would start a migraine very quickly trying to read with that.

Does anyone have a different brand of ereader that moves to a new page without doing that? I'm pretty sure that the ipad doesn't flash like that, but I am wondering about something CHEAPER.

Thanks!

Cathy M.

Perhaps the display model doesn't have the firmware updates? I have never seen in on my K3 though my old Nook had a bit of one.

Another option to consider is the Kyocera Echo, an android phone with 2 screens. I read it with the night option (black screen, white letters)using the FBReader app. I think the day option (white lit screen with black letters) would give me a headache. I have only had the phone a week and the longest reading session I've had was just about an hour. I get headaches very easily and have had a few migraines recently, but this hasn't bothered my yet (I've gotten in several hours of reading already). Yes, the screen is smaller than an ebook reader would be, but going to the next page isn't annoying and I consider myself a fast reader (not a speed reader though). It does not flash or go all black as it transitions to a new page - I just checked.;)

I had really been wanting an ereader (or tablet), but I think I'm going to be very happy with instead, especially when I consider the price. It helps that my hubby works for Sprint!

Edited by BetterthanIdeserve
corrected the name of the app