Menu

Idea's how to use this room!

One of the bedrooms closets has a door on it, leading to a "storage" room.

It's just a normal room, but the ceiling's slant off at the end.

I don't know how we can use it! I mean it'd be useful if it was somewhere the kid's couldn't into it.. but they easily can!

I hate unused/wasted space :lol: Any idea's what to use it for?

I would use it as a playroom, or a bedroom. I know my dd would snatch up the chance to have a room like that, especially if it meant she got a room to herself. I think I would lean towards turning it into a playroom. But that could have more to do with me tripping over toys in the livingroom again tonight.

Is there a window in the room? I'm fussy like that; always worried about emergency exits and how long it would take to get a sleeping child out of a room that was not easily accessible. Is the square footage reasonable? If yes to both, then I'd honestly smash the wall down and install a real door. If no, then it would be a tea room/play room of sorts. Of course, I'd be liable to put a recliner, lamp and bookstand in there and hog it all to myself. A nice, cozy getaway... and it would stay a secret! :tongue_smilie:

Is there a window in the room? I'm fussy like that; always worried about emergency exits and how long it would take to get a sleeping child out of a room that was not easily accessible. Is the square footage reasonable? If yes to both, then I'd honestly smash the wall down and install a real door.

There's a window & the it's a good sized room 18"X18" but the ceilings do slant down (sort of like an attic, because of that part of the roof)

I don't know how we could take down the wall, it's part of the wall to 2 bedrooms! I'm guessing that's why the door is in a closet (there's no other wall to put it on!,lol)

There's a window & the it's a good sized room 18"X18" but the ceilings do slant down (sort of like an attic, because of that part of the roof)

I don't know how we could take down the wall, it's part of the wall to 2 bedrooms! I'm guessing that's why the door is in a closet (there's no other wall to put it on!,lol)

My grandparents' home had a room like that and they installed deep shelves along one wall, and a covered storage area on the other. Just to make use of the space iykwim. What if that closet just came down, or rather was opened up to the max? Would that make the room more accessible? It sounds like it could serve as a lovely bedroom for several monkeys!

My grandparents' home had a room like that and they installed deep shelves along one wall, and a covered storage area on the other. Just to make use of the space iykwim. What if that closet just came down, or rather was opened up to the max? Would that make the room more accessible? It sounds like it could serve as a lovely bedroom for several monkeys!

Oh yes! That's a good idea! Can't believe I didn't think of that! Maybe lack of sleep (it's 1:37am,LOL!) :lol:

So...it could be storage. Or for a stockpile if you're into couponing. One thing I hate about the house we moved into this year is no storage for that.

Looking at your kids' ages, it looks like you might be able to do it for a bedroom for a set of kids:

Gabe, Zack, and Christian?

Maggie, Mia, and Nikki?

Or mabye it'd be best for the guest room. Stinks you can only get to it through the closet, but then it wouldn't be used constantly anyway. Then when William came with his kids or...you get the idea.

That's bigger than almost every room in our house! :lol:

We live in a teeny-tiny Cape, tho'.

Is this counted as one of the 10 bedrooms?

I would use it as the hand-me-down room. You could put Rubbermaid bins in it set up like a store, with different sized clothing in each bin. It'd make it easier for you when you needed to switch out clothing as your family grows.

Edited by unsinkable

Sounds like our bonus room. We use at as a playroom. We have the storage door in the closet, too. We use 1/2 of the storage room as storage (under the eaves) for holiday things, and it is a pain to go through the closet to go to the small door to get stuff out, but we only we have to do it four times a year. The other 1/2 of the space we put in cheap flooring, insulation, and paneling. We open the space up with another tiny door opening and call it the nook. It has served many purposes - reading nook, baby doll nursery, backstage area, barbie doll nook, etc. It is just an extra space that the kids are naturally attracted too.

I'd use it as a playroom and have connecting doors to the rooms on both sides of it. That way, lots of littles would have access to it from their room. Plus, you'd be able to totally close it off so that when you have guests over, you won't even know there's a messy playroom there. Sounds like it would make an awesome secret playroom!

I vote for playroom too. Sounds perfect!

Reminds me of the room my dd had at our last house. Previous owners used it as an office (several computer ports). It was off dd's (already gigantic) room, but had no closet of its own. It also had windows and that low slanted ceiling. It made a great playroom for her, the kids all thought it was awesome.

I sure miss that hideaway for toys ;)