Menu

Is Teaching Textbooks on grade level with PS?

1GirlTwinBoys

That is a hard question to answer! It depends on the PS close to you. I live in Wyoming- our Public School math is so bad (and I can say that because my oldest was in PS through 4th grade) When I started homeschooling her at the beginning of 5th I had to back way up to 3rd grade math.

Now, it appears that California Public Schools math standards would run laps around Wyomings!

Spy Car once posted a link where you could see and compare, that might be a link worth finding. I can't remember what it was for though.

My daughter used TT (TT5) for the first time this past school year and ended up vastly improving and doing well on her standardized test math scores. (She scored in the 82nd percentile which means she did as well as or better than 82 percent of all the kids nationwide who took that particular standardized test- and you can bet not all of them used TT. She way more than held her own- and this is NOT a mathy kid, and her scores the previous year were only like 59th percentile). (And we did not supplement with anything).

When we were down in Florida on vacation staying with family, one of my husband's cousin's kids was doing his math homework one day and I got to see what he was working on- it wasn't anything more "advanced" than what we were working on.

Plus just to throw it out there, I've seen people here mention that SWB has put it on a list of math programs she recommends or improves or whatever it is- I haven't seen it first hand, just seen others here mention it.

I've decided to not care whether other people think TT is "behind"- TT is not teacher intensive which is great for me (I don't like math), TT is fun for my daughter which means she enjoys doing math and doesn't dread it, TT explains things in a manner that my daughter gets it- no more "Math is too hard," "I'm not good at math" comments.

I'm completely sold.

I've got a pretty detailed review of it on my blog if you want to take a peek:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

I think it depends on the school. Last year I was at my friend's house and saw her 4th grader doing her math homework. It was almost the same thing Indy was doing for TT-3!

Indy lurves TT and has learned so much with it. He enjoys math instead of moaning when it's time for it. He got excited when TT4 arrived a few weeks ago. We have been really happy with it.

You can see the whole math books our district is using . It is Singapore math inspired .

You have to sign up and they will send you the password in the email . Worth exploring !

http://www.hmheducation.com/virtualsampling/vs_registration/fl/vs/flgomath

Check out this wp from 3rd grade:

Broke has 10 books . Cole has 20. 1/5 of Broke's books and 4/10 of Cole's books are about science. How many science books do they have altogether ?

Sophia has 8 cookies. 4/6 are sprinkled. How many are not ?

Or 2nd gr :

A pencil and a crayon measure 24 in . The pencil is twice as big as the crayon. How many in are the pencil and the crayon ?

Overall, I thought these are as challenging as some Singapore math . Unlike other math programs ( Horizons, Abeka , CLE ) , this public school math is not strong in computation or big numbers, but it is strong enough in math concepts and logic.

Edited by blessedmom3

Compared to the average school' date=' it may be about the same level.

I can't compare to our public school here because they use TERC :banghead:

My oldest is going back this year and I fear what will happen to him mathmatically. I think we will continue TT at home, even though I'm sure he will balk at it. (FWIW, he is going into 7th in the PS and will be doing TT pre-alg.)[/quote']

Our local schools use TERC too. I'd say the scope / sequence is pretty comparable. Of course, with TT, kids will actually learn how to do long division and change fractions to decimals and carry and borrow and do multiplication without drawing pictures.

Our local schools use TERC too. I'd say the scope / sequence is pretty comparable. Of course, with TT, kids will actually learn how to do long division and change fractions to decimals and carry and borrow and do multiplication without drawing pictures.

like:D

I just finished TT3 for my 2nd grader last year, and kept comparing it with what they were doing at the public school year.

TT3 is ahead of 2nd grade, but not quite what public 3rd grade is doing either. Multiplication and division are introduced but not central to TT3, though it does get into multiplication problems with several steps of carrying by the end, it does not demand mastery of the higher level multiplication and division facts, which is what I would consider normal for 3rd grade. Our public 2nd grade does no multiplication or division at all.

It think TT's claim that TT3 is for an "advanced" 2nd grader is erroneous. My 2nd grader was by no means mathematically advanced, with dyslexia affecting her math competency as well, though she is reasonably bright. For her, TT3 was perfect - more advanced than public 2nd grade math, but not entirely 3rd grade material either.

My daughter took 2nd grade SAT last year and scored moderately above average for math (about dead-on average for procedures, and well above average for problem-solving.)

For my younger one who IS mathematically advanced, I am using it 2 grades ahead.

I think it is a good product, and they have a hard time classifying it in part because they don't entirely follow public school math education conventions.

Edited by zenjenn