Menu

Field Trips- Am I missing anything???

Children's Museum in Winchester, VA (Shenandoah Valley CM)

Children's Museum in Charlottesville, VA

Aquarium in Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD

Newseum in DC

Not sure if it's still open, but a children's museum in DC

Out by Fredrick, MD there are a couple of working farms (Amish)

You could do Ski Liberty (?) in MD in the winter - there is also Wisp Resort in MD

Glen Echo Park (Bethesda) is great

National Postal Museum

US Mint

Luray Caverns

I STILL haven't done a tour of the Naval Academy.... you think it would be good for younger kids?

From The United States Naval Academy website

NAVY WAY BOOT CAMP - 1st - 5th grades

Recruits learn Navy terms and traditions...they march, chant and follow orders. One hour.

EDUCATIONAL TOUR - 4th - 12th grades

Based on elementary, middle or high school curriculum. Tour provides students an opportunity to use visual skills and to utilize information as part of their learning experience. Educational materials available for teachers. One hour.

Once we did an overnight trip down to St. Mary's City. We also visited the Chesapeake Bay Marine Lab (I think that's the name; it's on St George's island.) and the kids did lots on hands on stations . . . Held a crab, put on big boots and cast a net, that sort of thing. We toured the Piney Pointe lighthouse on the same trip.

Kids LOVE Port Discovery, but it's a logistical nightmare for parents since they can go I. That climbing structure and come out on any floor.

Once we did an overnight trip down to St. Mary's City. We also visited the Chesapeake Bay Marine Lab (I think that's the name; it's on St George's island.) and the kids did lots on hands on stations . . . Held a crab, put on big boots and cast a net, that sort of thing. We toured the Piney Pointe lighthouse on the same trip.

/QUOTE]

They were just building up St. Mary's City "Living history" area when I was attending St. Mary's College, the world's most beautiful campus. Met my dh in St. Mary's County. Thanks for tonight's beautiful memories.

St. Mary's City?

Lancaster area -- Landis Valley Museum?

Ephrata Cloisters, Daniel Boone homestead (they're between Gettysburg and Philadelphia -- might work with a weekend trip to Philadelphia)?

Antietam?

Conococheague Institute -- French and Indian War? (They had a neat colonial fair last year -- http://conococheague.org/.)

If you have people who are really into military history, you might consider zipping up to Carlisle, PA (about 20 minutes from Gettysburg) to see the museum and displays at the Army War College. They have examples from all of the major US wars -- bunkers, etc. I'm not into military history *at all,* and I thought it was pretty interesting; DH has seen the museum, and I think he said it was pretty interesting.

Hey, we have driven past there a few times! I didn't know they had a museum... maybe we can do that one the next time we hit American History and the kids are a bit older. HEY, I wonder if there is anything up there about that Indian assimilation school... gotta show 'em the bad stuff too.....

Would the Native American Museum have that? I love that place. It's soothing :-)