Menu

leaving message on voice mail about

homeschooling. Do you have one? I refuse to go through another year of the phone ringing. I know I can shut it off or put it on silent, but I don't want to because dh calls to see if he needs to stop anywhere for me on a regular basis. And frankly I don't need to check the number everytime I feel it vibrating. So if I can fend some of the ring time off that would be good. I'd like to have a message that states that we homeschool from a certain hour to a certain hour and we're not available.

Not sure how to word it where it's not a really long message.

I need ideas on what to say, please?

I don't know, it seems like you can just tell the people you are closest to, who are most likely to call you on any sort of regular basis, that you would prefer them not to call during school hours, and they will respect that.

The people that rarely call or who are calling as a one time thing, it's not going to matter. They'll just leave a voicemail and you will call them back when you want to.

I wouldn't do that. There are people who don't need to know that you're homeschooling, and frankly, some people will think that doesn't apply to them and they'll call anyway. :glare:

ITA with giving certain ring tones to people, such as Mr. Alilac, and only answering those during school hours.

I wouldn't do that. There are people who don't need to know that you're homeschooling, and frankly, some people will think that doesn't apply to them and they'll call anyway. :glare:

ITA with giving certain ring tones to people, such as Mr. Alilac, and only answering those during school hours.

Ah! There's an idea.

I'm so technology challenged. DH will do it for me. Thanks.

Yup, I loving having customized ringtones. My MIL's ringtone is "Ride of the Valkyries," for example. I *do* tend to leave sarcastic voicemail greetings, though, like, "You've reached [name]. Since it's another school year, I'm probably busy socializing. Leave a message and I'll call you back once I'm done overextending myself." Things like that.

homeschooling. Do you have one? I refuse to go through another year of the phone ringing. I know I can shut it off or put it on silent, but I don't want to because dh calls to see if he needs to stop anywhere for me on a regular basis. And frankly I don't need to check the number everytime I feel it vibrating. So if I can fend some of the ring time off that would be good. I'd like to have a message that states that we homeschool from a certain hour to a certain hour and we're not available.

Not sure how to word it where it's not a really long message.

I need ideas on what to say, please?

do you school at a set time, or does it vary? If it's a set time, your dh should know it ahead time.

anyone else, you don't need to give anything other than a cheerful - we're not available, please leave a message and we'll cal you back.

If you want to add: if you need to speak with a live person, please call between ___ and ___.

I simply take it off the hook when I don't want to be bothered. Our answering service picks up when the line is busy so basically anyone calling goes directly to my voicemail.

My dh knows to text me if it is an emergency. Then, I simply check messages at the end of the day. I would do the same if I worked outside the house so it doesn't bother me at all.

Been doing this for years!!

:iagree:

Also, since we don't have cell phones, here's dh's and my policy: 1) I simply don't answer the phone; 2) *important* people, i.e., dh (and our parents when they were alive), knew that if it was important, to call, let the phone ring the four rings till voice mail kicked in, hang up, dial immediately back - and I would answer. This has worked well for us . . .

I have a special ringtone for hubby - otherwise, I pick it up if I'm free and not if I'm not.

I find that everyone's schedule is SO varied (from when the wake up, through when they school, to when they sleep) that it would be pointless among even my close friends to try and give xyz hours. I know that for ME, it changes almost daily! Also - even during school hours, most of us have periods of free time to call or be called!

I don't see why you wouldn't just hit cancel if it starts ringing and isn't hubby - send it straight to vm

"If this is important enough to interrupt homeschooling, please hang up and dial 911. If you'd like to leave a message, we'll get back to you when school hours are over."

Of course, you then have the problem of needed a different message outside of school hours, so it might be easiest to give DH a different ring and ignore the rest.