Menu

Best thing for a bad cough??

I think it may be allergies.

Here's what usually works for us:

Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a glass, add a bit of honey to make it palatable, and some hot water to make it all mix together. Two teaspoons every couple hours. Seems to work for us!

Hope you find some relief!

OK...I have no wiskey in the house...nor lemon...go figure.

I do however have honey...would it help if I just sucked the bottle down?

Cough drops are NOT helping. I took a bunch of the kids cough medicine, not working either. And tasted HORRIBLE! I was thinking.. "How In The World Do They Take This Crap! YUK!"

I have battled with tonsilitis and strep for the past week. Though this cough is worse!

OK...I have no wiskey in the house...nor lemon...go figure.

I do however have honey...would it help if I just sucked the bottle down?

Cough drops are NOT helping. I took a bunch of the kids cough medicine, not working either. And tasted HORRIBLE! I was thinking.. "How In The World Do They Take This Crap! YUK!"

I have battled with tonsilitis and strep for the past week. Though this cough is worse!

Honestly, can anyone get to a drugstore for you? Give Delsym a try. It's the best OTC cough medication we've tried.

Honestly, can anyone get to a drugstore for you? Give Delsym a try. It's the best OTC cough medication we've tried.

I am tryin to drag dh out of bed....but being as I am a picky shopper is afraid to go! LOL

Like which kind do you want, chewable..liquid...tablet...smooth...white....round....UGH

I've never heard of Delsym before but I will write it down. Maybe better luck at CVS or Walgreens for it?

I am tryin to drag dh out of bed....but being as I am a picky shopper is afraid to go! LOL

Like which kind do you want, chewable..liquid...tablet...smooth...white....round....UGH

I've never heard of Delsym before but I will write it down.

Open up the link I added and show him the picture. Just tell him, "buy one of this."

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Honestly you might try a coke or pepsi with caffeine in it. The caffeine has a calming affect and can help with coughs. We have to give our kids with asthma some coke when their coughs and breathing get really bad. It helps.

Otherwise you can try hot tea with lemon and honey. I would say whiskey too, but since you don't have any I guess you cant do that.

Honestly you might try a coke or pepsi with caffeine in it. The caffeine has a calming affect and can help with coughs. We have to give our kids with asthma some coke when their coughs and breathing get really bad. It helps.

Otherwise you can try hot tea with lemon and honey. I would say whiskey too, but since you don't have any I guess you cant do that.

If you haven't believed the rest so far.....I have no coke, pepsi or soda in the house either. Why do I have to eat so 'gosh dang' healthy!!! UGH....Why don't I keep all that in the house for emergencies!!

Any ideas appreciated.

If it's one of those hard coughs from strep or a bad cold, then I suggest the following:

2 parts nettle

1 part mullein

1 part eucalyptus

You can find these as tea bags in most health stores, or purchase loose, dried herb. Brew, add honey and drink.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. This is what worked for me. You might also want to try adding some eucalyptus oil to boiled water and steam your head over that. It will loosen up whatever is in your chest and you'll get over the cough sooner.

Note: the mullein will probably make you a little sleepy, and do not take it if you are pregnant.

Have you tried steam? That helps here with some types of coughs.

What kind of cough is it - scratchy throat, bronchial, dry, barking, any wheezing associated, how about fever?

codeine cough syrups are the only ones that work here - stops the spasms. probably the same reason the whiskey works. has the warm tea with honey and lemon helped at all? cold air helps with croup, maybe that will help if the steam doesn't.

Have you tried steam? That helps here with some types of coughs. What kind of cough is it - scratchy throat, bronchial, dry, barking, any wheezing associated, how about fever?

codeine cough syrups are the only ones that work here - stops the spasms. probably the same reason the whiskey works. has the warm tea with honey and lemon helped at all? cold air helps with croup, maybe that will help if the steam doesn't.

I haven't tried steam. I have tried the tea with honey and that helped. I also bought the Delsym cough syrup as suggested by Crissy. No fever or wheezing. I need to take a deep breath to get a good cough, it's not something I can just do a little cough to help. Also, a tickle sometimes in the back of my throat.