Menu

Maker Shed kits (electronics, Anduino)

DS14 says: "First, it's Arduino, not Anduino, and yes, I do do stuff with it. The Make: guides are good, but they don't cover all that much. I am currently making a laser tag set. The nice thing about Arduino is it is so versatile. People have made clocks, lamps, and even guitars with Arduinos and other things.If you search the forums at arduino.cc, you will find plenty of ideas. Basic programming is required, but is really easy to learn."

DS is just getting started w/Arduino. He's not using the Make guide, I'm not sure what he's using. The Make Electronics book seems pretty good, we have it on the shelf but I think it's just used as reference.

I'm not very helpful, I know.

We're just starting over here. He made a blinky thingee and drives me crazy with " look at this!!". :D

Maybe we should do a Skype call......Internet Arduino club????? He could certainly use someone into it to yak with.

And I did find the stuff on Amazon as Maker's shipping made me go :001_huh::glare::svengo:

My girls are working their way through the Electronics guide and are almost done. It is excellent. It not only gives them projects, it explains all terminology, concepts, and history behind what they are doing. Don't buy the kits that go with the book from the Shed, though. I have seen many bad reviews. We have been able to get everything we need from Radio Shack and AllElectronics.com.

I am making them finish the book before they move on, for safety reasons. I don't want anyone winging it here with electricity. It is easy to foget when you are plugging things in to each other that there is an electrical current running through them. They are also working through Computer Programming for Teens, which gives a great foundation in the programming aspect, before they move on.

When they are done, we are looking at several Arduino knock-offs. We were just at the Maker's Faire in Detroit this past weekend, and several folks (indpendent exhibitors) recommended the Arduino starter kit, though. I think it is $75 or $100.

We are on track for them to build a project out of MAKE for the Faire next year, and I know they will be able to safely build it, plan it thoughfully, and explain it intelligently because of the background I am "making" them get. (We sadly saw few teens/kids and even fewer girls exhibiting, and we want to change that!)