Menu

When did Amazon acquire The Book Depository?

I must be the last person to know this, right? I just made an order at The Book Depository, which has long been my book company of choice. As I was checking on the potential delivery time, I just noticed in the FAQ page a question inquiring as to how the Amazon acquisition would affect The Book Depository customers. The answer was decidedly vague, and leaves me wondering if this was even a big piece of news or a quiet take-over, or what?

I don't really like Amazon very much, and I would hate to see my wonderful Book Depository become another Amazon UK. I think I'm going to go pout in a corner. :sneaky2:

Wait, what???

I use the Book Depository all the time since they will ship all the books to Malaysia for free and amazon charges and arm and a leg (and a few fingers, a lung, and one kidney).

I wonder how this will change the book depository if at all?

That's what I said! Here is the Help page with the first question listed under "common questions" asking about the acquisition. Shipping is a big reason why I switched away from Amazon, but I also found the titles available on amazon.ca to be lacking. There would be many titles that I could not get on there, but which were shown on the amazon.com or amazon.uk sites. I am a junkie for a slew of British authors, and not being able to find the books at a sane price was very frustrating. I also order my Galore Park materials through Book Depository.

If I had to pay the shipping, that would sink me. I can imagine that postage to Malaysia wouldn't be any kinder to you than postage to Canada is to me!

I will certainly be keeping an eye on the site for any changes, especially to the shipping and variety of stock.

I've been in mourning, too :crying: The Book Depository was the first company that made it possible for me to get a substantial number of books that would have been wayyyyy too expensive simply because of the shipping costs. I also think Amazon & a few others became more competitive because of them. I've been buying books like crazy because I'm scared Free Shipping will disappear and we will be living once again in "Australia: Land of Limited Books because Shipping Costs Require a Second Mortgage" :cursing:

This totally blows :crying:.

I also switched to Book Depository since amazon charges so much to ship to Grenada. This will be terrible. Time to get a Kindle for dd as well, I guess ... not that she likes them.

Many years ago, amazon used to offer surface shipping. Then they stopped. But at least other companies - Rainbow Resource, etc. - still offered surface shipping and some homeschooling companies even had M-Bags which were super, super cheap. Then both surface and M-Bags stopped thanks to some ebay scammers and the U.S. Postal Service - there is no longer any more surface mail. The whole thing stinks.

I did just place an order at Book Depository last week. I wasn't charged for shipping. When do the changes go into effect? Never. I hope. Wishful thinking ...

And Grenada has stopped importing ALL magazines. Dd misses her Archie Digests and I miss getting my monthly magazine fix. We've gone back to the dark ages here. :confused:

Guest stargirl

I read on their twitter page at the time of the announment that they will operate independently and TBD will still have free shipping. But I think prices will rise eventually, as Amazon/Book Depository will not longer be competing against each other for customers - I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

This is the first I have heard of it.

Joining other Australian mourners here. Although, you never know, they might just be a profitable business even with free shipping, and continue it.

I shall continue to hope that will be the case.

Guest stargirl

Did you know they have 2 websites, .co.uk and .com, both ship the books from the UK but sometimes books are priced differently on each website, sometimes .com is cheaper, other times .co.uk is cheaper. So worth checking prices before ordering.

.co.uk - 10% discount valid until 31st August 2011

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/pp0811?a_aid=code

.com - 10% discount valid until 6th August 2011

http://www.bookdepository.com/referafriend?a_aid=code

Wait, what???

I use the Book Depository all the time since they will ship all the books to Malaysia for free and amazon charges and arm and a leg (and a few fingers, a lung, and one kidney).

I wonder how this will change the book depository if at all?

:iagree: <imagine this little guy scowling, not smiling> The free shipping has really allowed me to purchase items I otherwise couldn't. And I don't live in Malaysia. Hmmmppphhh....