Menu

Spelling

Familyties

My DS will be starting 4th grade and I am looking for an affordable spelling program. He is a good speller, but I do believe through memorization that he loses a lot of it. I really like AAS, but it is expensive. I don't think SS would be a good fit so if you have another recommendation, please let me know!!

Thanks so much,

Jacque

While I Love AAS, I too agree that it is costly so I've recently made the decision to switch to SWO. With FLL and WWE lined up, I decided that spelling should be less teacher driven especially considering that dd7 is a natural speller and strongly dislikes being taught anything and everything.

We think AAS is worth it for us, but Spelling Power is very very affordable, though it doesn't offer as much in the way of INTENSIVE phonics instruction for encoding, more of general rules - if you have a natural speller this should work well.

Spelling Power :)

I love that it was a one time cost that I can now use with all my children. My daughter spells very easily so I only use the word lists and test her. Any that she gets wrong I just correct her right away and then retest her on the misspelled words. We review past words once a month orally.

After a ton of research before we began home schooling, I bought Spelling Power and have not regretted it. The manual is a lot but you only buy it once, for everyone, for ever. You can keep buying the booklets of writing pages but my oldest doesn't even use them anymore. We've been very pleased with the program, she's flying through it and the philosophy just makes sense...